Gardener

• 41 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Gardener
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 08:11 »
That's your own garden though.

It's a bit different with an allotment. What about those on the waiting list, (I assume there is one - unusual if not), who are itching to cultivate one of their own, who are seeing someone getting someone else to do it?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:12 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

8doubles

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 08:19 »
You may get some stick from the other allotment holders when you do turn up.
Backing away from you while bowed down,
forelock touching,
definately some muttering. :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 09:35 »
What about those on the waiting list, (I assume there is one - unusual if not), who are itching to cultivate one of their own, who are seeing someone getting someone else to do it?

I agree, its not on as a permanent solution. But surely OK as a short term solution? If the O/P wound up in hospital the other plot holders would probably rally round and look after the plot. I don;t think "I'm too busy" would wash for a rally-round though! but its not a huge stretch from that to get some help in when unanticipatedly busy is it?

But you are right, I don't have a plot and am lucky enough to have my own garden, so the only rule here is "We'll talk about it for 5 minutes then do it Kristen's way" :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:56 by Kristen »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 09:40 »
... so the only rule here is "We'll take about it for 5 minutes then do it Kristen's way" :)

We already knew that  ;) :lol:

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 11:55 »
Maybe they think you're subletting to someone trying to get round the waiting list?  You could try explaining to the committee that it's a temporary solution - maybe give yourself a deadline so that it can't go on indefinitely.

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 12:23 »
Maybe it's something to do with the site insurance policy only covering named tenants and not their family members or friends?

I was in the same position last year and rang the secretary to ask if there was anyone on the waiting list willing to help me out (after getting a letter from the commitee about my weedy plot).

They paired me up with somone but he's got a plot of his own now.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 12:41 »
Maybe it's something to do with the site insurance policy only covering named tenants and not their family members or friends?

You're absolutely right nipper.  As an allotment secretary I should have thought of that problem !

Lardman

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 13:05 »
My workload strongly influenced my decision NOT to apply for a plot. It didn't seem right that I personally couldn't give it the time I felt it required and by taking it I would have deprived someone who had the time, to both enjoy and maintain a plot.

I say no more....

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 16:14 »
My workload strongly influenced my decision NOT to apply for a plot. It didn't seem right that I personally couldn't give it the time I felt it required and by taking it I would have deprived someone who had the time, to both enjoy and maintain a plot.

I say no more....

I agree .... no point taking on a new plot if you haven't time to work it yourself but if it is an existing plot and the lack of time is only temporary having someone help you out sounds fine to me.

Insurance? Strictly speaking it sounds as if unrelated helpers shouldn't be going on to the plot or anywhere near it. Just how many people have accidents on plots and subsequently claim against the plot insurance? I've not heard of anyone doing this on our two sites...

Should the helper be made aware that he/she would be entering the allotment to help but would not be covered by insurance?   There are people on our site who have a plot in one person's name but a mate comes along to share the work-load and the produce. Perhaps an unofficial apprentice system?

Better than letting the plot become plastered in weeds and one way of keeping it going until you have more time. (Very unofficially…sounds OK to me!!)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 17:37 »
no point taking on a new plot if you haven't time to work it yourself

Might have to wait years for a plot - and it might come free when you are busy at work ...

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 18:06 »
there was a story about some posh people who had their gardener erect a gazebo on their plot and disgruntled plotholders burned it down.

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 20:52 »
there was a story about some posh people who had their gardener erect a gazebo on their plot and disgruntled plotholders burned it down.

:lol:  :lol: How awful!!  :lol: Seriously..... that's dreadful.

My neighbours built a gazebo trellis-like structure on their plot adjoining shed number 2. It's plastered with honey-suckle but, as far as I know, they never sit under it. Smells nice  :)

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 21:03 »
apparently they had their gardener do all the work and would reap the benefits. hardly what allotments were originally for.

Buzzy bee

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 21:25 »
who or what makes you work 80 hours a week    :(  and what do you do with your days off im only asking cos im a retail manager working a 50-55 hour week and still get 12-14 hours on the plot  :)  i would never allow anyone to work on my plot other than myself or the wife if i did what would be the point of having an allotment? sorry if this seems a bit obtuse but it is a fair point

Hi

Might be worth you re reading the thread?  I got the plot whilst working for the old job, now this new job has come along, I am having to put some hours in, and it is as I have said already tempoary, but you see work is hard to come by, so I am grabbing it with both hands, else I won't be able to afford to buy seeds and the landrover to bring the manure in etc.

No seriously, thanks to eveyones replies, I am quite happy with the close friend helping me out now, I have found out there are constant complaints from one tenant, so am not so worried about it.  I waited 3 years for a plot, and know when my hours go down later in the year, I don't want to wait another 3 years for a plot, but at the same time, I didn't want to see it get all messy.  Then again, the consensus on the site is to cover the plot in plastic if you don't want to use it short term, to me it is better for someone to be using it, but then that is only my thoughts, and they tend not to be listened to most of the time in real life.

The thing that annoys me is the waiting list is so long and then some people have 4 or 5 plots, this is out of order in my eyes, but there you go, they say they have granfather rights to them, as they took them on when no one wanted them in the past.  Sorry but times change, and they are very much wanted now!

I must add the friend helping me, is not on the allotment waiting list.

Cheers

Dave

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 21:33 »

Might be worth you re reading the thread?  I got the plot whilst working for the old job, now this new job has come along, I am having to put some hours in, and it is as I have said already tempoary,

To be fair Dave, you've not actually said that on this post.

xx
Potatoes : Help, New Gardener

Started by params on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 09:30
by aelf
xx
Gardener v cook

Started by Living in Hope on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 30, 2011, 06:55
by New shoot
xx
New alotment and new gardener!

Started by Buzzy bee on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 00:33
by woodburner
xx
Brand new out the box Gardener

Started by llINDA on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 17:57
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 37 queries.