Serious hen house advice please

• 20 Replies

mooie

Serious hen house advice please
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:28 »
Hi,

I bought what I thought was a good house and run off ebay, I got it set it up and got my girls but Im really not keen on it and no way would it hold as many hens as it says.

So im looking to save and get a better one but after wasting so much money the first time around I really need to get it right this time! So I need help from you knowledgeable people (Ive heard flattery helps ha ha)

Ive been looking at info on here and researching but with al the don't have ones with this and that I can't seem to find one that is good  :(
I want one with a run big enough for them to be left in for a short amount of time (not long) I will have 3 silkies but am hoping to extend my little group of girls so Id like to go for one that can hold a couple more.

Please help me

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Serious hen house advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 10:36 »
have put a link to this question on another post. The company make runs and coops as well as breed chickens. Or you can keep your new ebay coop (we have all made this mistake) and buy aviary panels (or make them - if you buy a roll of weldmesh you can make the panels the same width as the weldmesh - try Hills of Devon for good prices and delivery) and place your coop inside  :).
For a perminent place you could then use onduline fastened on to keep it dry.
Staffies are softer than you think.

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:01 »
you can shop around but it's what you prefer and what fits your needs and liking and what you want to spend out on a coop and run or you can make your own but you can go with wood or the plastic

Eglu Classic The original, revolutionary eglu chicken house for 2-4 hen. Stylish and practical and easy to use. It is available is 5 great colours. From £290

http://www.sunnyfieldspoultryhousing.co.uk/poultry-runs/

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php

a good rule of thumb for a size of coop is your birds need 6-10 inches of roosting space per bird and for run space  I'd suggest no less than 3 to 5 square feet per bird. 10 square feet per bird would be better
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

mooie

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:19 »
See the eglu price was ok but not for that little amount of hens, I don't want to have to go out and spend even more again, the link to the enclosed pen looked good but Im not paying that much just for a run and have no one around here that could make one. I really don't need one that big anyway as they will have the garden to roam in, needs to be big enough for a few chickens though same goes for the actual hut.

I thought this one might be good with the double run http://www.feelgooduk.net/58-egg-house-12-extra-large-chicken-coop-hen-home.html but a user on a different thread mentioned this and apparently its not really that good, no vertical pop hole, wire is on with staples etc... so Im struggling

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:08 »
It is tricky, I spent ages researching before deciding on making my own based on a lot of what had been said, and it was a fraction of the price as well, again as joyfull mentioned, Hills of Devon are really good for the weld mesh.
Hillfooter also gives great advice if you check his threads etc, it is well worth spending on a decent coop that will last for years rather than these Chinese imports.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mooie

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 13:35 »
Unfortunately neither me or my OH are any good at DIY and don't know anyone who is  :(

I understand that spending a bit of money is better than buying something cheap and unusable but for  example an eglu for 10 chickens is £795 now Im sorry but thats just silly.  It might be fine for some people but not me. If i ever spent that much on a chicken hut and run it would need to be a lot bigger than that!

Im not looking to skimp, but Im also not looking to spend a fortune, I just want a hut and run big enough for maybe 8 chickens, half or more of which will be banty's and that is decent and won't need replacing quickly.

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 13:36 »
See the eglu price was ok but not for that little amount of hens, I don't want to have to go out and spend even more again, the link to the enclosed pen looked good but Im not paying that much just for a run and have no one around here that could make one. I really don't need one that big anyway as they will have the garden to roam in, needs to be big enough for a few chickens though same goes for the actual hut.

I thought this one might be good with the double run http://www.feelgooduk.net/58-egg-house-12-extra-large-chicken-coop-hen-home.html but a user on a different thread mentioned this and apparently its not really that good, no vertical pop hole, wire is on with staples etc... so Im struggling

Thats a reasonable coop at a good price, go for it. The vertical pop hole is not important and in any case it would take about 15 minutes to change it to a vertical if you really wanted that, with little or no extra expense. Wire is almost always stapled and if you are not happy with the staple length restaple it.

mooie

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 13:41 »
Hi Vecten,
To be honest I didn't realise staples could be a problem but another member said they will rust quickly??
Im not fussed about how the hole opens but again the same user said huts without a vertical pop hole are useless so i got confused  :blink:

The hut with double run i linked to looked large, and big enough for a few chickens, but when I read the users comments i was a bit disheartened, i will try and link to the thread...

here... http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=72836.0

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 14:31 »
Hi Vecten,
To be honest I didn't realise staples could be a problem but another member said they will rust quickly??
Im not fussed about how the hole opens but again the same user said huts without a vertical pop hole are useless so i got confused  :blink:

The hut with double run i linked to looked large, and big enough for a few chickens, but when I read the users comments i was a bit disheartened, i will try and link to the thread...

here... http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=72836.0

All my houses are stapled. The oldest is probably 9 or 10 years old with no rust problems. With a wood coop the door is really a matter of taste, as I said it can easily be changed.

Unless we can afford a custom built house we have to compromise.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 14:33 by Vecten »

mooie

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 15:04 »
Thanks for that, I feel happier now  :)

One more stupid question  :blush: the double run is 90cm by 200cm so thats less that 2 Sq metres?? So not big enough for 2 chickens? or am i working it out wrong? lol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 15:07 »
that run is just under 2 square meters (or if you think it is a strip of 10cm along the length short). Is the run to be placed in a perminant position or will you be able to move it around. How long are the birds to be kept in it - ie will they have access to the rest of the garden?

mooie

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 15:24 »
That run would probably be in one position but they wouldn't be in it much, say if we go out for the afternoon occasionally then they would be in it.

I find it hard to understand that companies are selling coops with runs that are too small for even 2 chickens. I mean this coop and run are meant to be ok for 12 chickens now I know thats not always right and you'd probably think more 8 - 10 but then you see that the run isn't big enough for 2!

Im confused, surely most people out there are breaking the guidelines then?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 15:41 »
I agree with you I would never pay that for an eglu.
The coop your linking to, a couple of things I would stay clear of, first of all unless the coop is being kept undercover then 10mm thick wood is not going to last or provide good insulation in a cold winter and will increase the risk of condensation, check out some of the other poultry suppliers, most are around 15mm min, second as HF has mentioned in his post, galvanised litter trays can be a real pain in the backside in windy conditions and full of litter.
I dont know what your budget is but for around another £70 ish you could get a much better built coop.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 15:49 »
Unfortunately you are right mooie, most of these people are just out to take your money!  they don't care if the run or coop isn't big enough for what you want, hopefully you will then go back to them and buy something bigger!   :(

What they fail to understand is, if you are not happy with what they sell, you will go elsewhere!  Stupid people.

What sort of area are you in?  If you were nera enough to us, we could show you how easy it is to make a run like Joyfull said out of tile battens and weldmesh.  and thanks to an idea from Joyfull, I now put my panels together how I want them with cheap cable ties.  So easy to move around.  Wish all my runs were like that!   :D :D

mooie

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 15:57 »
Hi Annie  :) We're in West Norfolk, so a bit far.

Ok so these companies besides driving me mad are companies i still have to buy from lol!  Now I want a largeish run but now Ive realised i can't get one that follows the guidelines so basically  have to get a coop with  the largest run possible on it and just let them out a lot, which i was planning on anyway really.

I know people are saying certain coops and runs aren't great which is fair enough Im happy that people are telling me before I waste more money! But can someone please please link me to a coop and run that is ok? Please x

xx
Need some advice please on hen house

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 23:34
by nzdunn
xx
Advice on this house please before I buy.

Started by knittywittywoo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 14:14
by knittywittywoo
xx
Hen House Advice Needed

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 23:47
by meterman
xx
moving the hen house...any advice please

Started by Mischief on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 16:37
by beulah59

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 38 queries.