will this work for a broody ??

• 3 Replies

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
will this work for a broody ??
« on: March 15, 2011, 19:11 »
Hi all

First let me say my little broody has hatched 3 chicks off (YIPPEE) its her and my first clutch so big grin from me.
Oh they are copper black moran x1 and copper blue x2 looking at the chicks colouring as yet unsexed.

So as i have them in a seperate coop with a fixed run , its one of those with a ramp up to sleeping area fixed roof  types i thought i would look for a ground level broody unit however the cost is beyond what i am willing to pay(some firms looking for over £100+) i feel this is very steep so got my fingers onto the key board and have found the following item . its called Trixie small rabbit house http://www.petvillas.co.uk/brands/trixie/trixie-natura-small-rabbit-house-42x43x51cm?variant_id=827 my question all be it long winded is Would this work ?? and best of all is the price

thanks
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

PaulineM

Re: will this work for a broody ??
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 20:04 »
Hi
I was looking at that yesterday too as a broody coop, I will keep an eye on this post to see what the experienced keepers think.  :)
Unfortunately my little broody isn't going to be as successful as yours I think, I have just candled my first eggs and to me all 6 are empty  :(
I will check in a couple of days tho.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Spana

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 20:51 »
I think it would be OK for baby chicks and mum.  You would need to nail a piece of wood across the front bottom to stop the chicks getting under it.  I would also change the ramp for bricks or bits of paving slab piled up as steps up into the hutch.
I've made broody coops from wire and plastic feed bags when i've been desperate and thats works so a rabbit hatch must be an improvement on that. :lol:

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 21:04 »
cheers Spana and Pauline

I think i will order one and try it out and for the price if its not good enough i shall give it to my neighbour for her guinepig :D :D :D

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.512 seconds with 37 queries.