Advice needed, noisy hen but to be fair I only got her today

• 13 Replies

mooie

Hi,

I know this is probably really silly but Im worried the noise will continue, I decided on silkies as they are supposedly  the quiet chicken although someone forgot to tell 'Omlet' this!
She is on her own at the moment as the person Im getting them from only had one that was definitely a girl and Im waiting for another 2.

Do you think it could be because she is on her own? She makes loud noises at me (I understand thats probably because Im a stranger to her), she makes noises when ducks and seagulls fly over etc...  Im just worried that my neighbours are going to complain. I was so excited about getting chickens and really researched to get the right chickens, low noise, no risk of them flying over a fence etc... and now Im really worried.

There seems to be a lack of Silkie bantams around here so now Im worried it might end up being a while before i can get her company, Id get a different breed so she has a friend but I can't find another low noise, not likely to fly breed.

please help me, Id really really appreciate it x

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Re: Advice needed, noisy hen but to be fair I only got her today
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 16:35 »
well i can help a little bit but who ever you bought your chicken from should have told you that they need to come in pairs but better if a trio in case one is sick or dies they don't thrive well on their own  and can go down hill rather quickly, as far as other breeds that don't fly so well you could try a sablepoot or a heavy breed. Hens to be fair all make a noise out of fright,fight,laying,or going to lay or i just laid or i found good food over here.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 16:36 »
I can't comment on the breed but I would guess that yes, being on her own and in a new environment has stressed her out a little - was she on her own before?

We had a hen who was on her own for a little while as we lost the other two very suddenly and, although wasn't noisy per se, she did seem to get more clingy with us when we went into the garden etc.

We also have three ducks and when one just happens to be out of view it gets noisy!

Get her some company asap - they're flock animals and so by being on their own they will call out for the others.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 20:31 »
I have six pullets, all of which are generally as quiet as mice.  But I have noticed that if one is concentrating on digging up a big worm and the others move out of sight, she will suddenly look up and notice she is on her own.  Then what a racket!  She will shout as if her life depends on it and go running to find her sisters.  Once she can see them again she settles down.

I do think that your little silkie is probably stressed and lonely, and will settle when she has been there a while and has some friends.

Try reassuring her by spending some time with her and chatting quietly.  I find mine respond well to this, as long as I don't try to get too close or touch them - in which case the noise begins again!

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:41 »
Unfortunately there are no such things as "quiet chickens" of course, while some are more chatty than others, they nearly all annouce an egg being layed, and predator warnings, and some of the bantam silikes I've seen at shows can out cluck their large fowl sisters!

For now, I'd guess that your new chicken is alarmed because she is alone.  Is it not possible to keep her at the breeders until you can get at least three?  Also silikes are notoriously difficult to sex, is she laying, as sometimes this is the only way to tell the cockerels from the pullets!  A lone cockerel will be noiser than a lone hen, especially one brought into a strange territory, as he tries to assert his dominance.

mooie

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 18:56 »
Firstly i wasn't ever expecting a silent hen lol!! I do know that they make a noise Im really not that stupid! I researched and found that silkies are the quietest not silent obviously but quieter than other breeds.

Well I felt so sorry for her yesterday that we drove for 3 hours to get her a friend, popped her in the hut last night while it was dark and then when let out this morning there was a bit of pecking by the first one and thats been on and off today but doesn't seem to be too bad. She is much much quieter today, the only real noise being when she is chasing the other little one around and pecking her  ::)

I did also know that they are very hard to sex and have really tried to get slightly older ones but neither of them laid an egg today so I guess i still have to keep my fingers crossed and hope! lol No crowing is a good sign, Id just like a couple of eggs and then Ill relax  :)

Thanks for all the advice, the 3 hour drive was more than worth it although I think these two may have me wrapped around their feathers already  :D

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 19:25 »
Excellent, mooie.  I'm so glad your silkie is happier with a friend around.  Silkies are little darlings, aren't they?  Visiting a friend's silkies was one of the things that softened my hubby to getting chickens.  He had no idea they could be so cute, and so affectionate!   :wub:

mooie

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 19:47 »
They are lovely, seeing some is what made us want them too  :)
Just got to find some tips for taming them now, Im sure they think Im going to kill them as they either run or squawk when I come close to the run.
I gave them some yoghurt and one just walked up to it and kicked it straight over and walked off - charming lol  :lol:

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 22:54 »
It does take them a week or so to decide you're "safe" - different birds like different treats so you have to try loads of stuff to tempt them!  After 4 weeks, ours started running to their gate and tretching their necks when they heard the kitchen door.

One of ours loves greens, one's a banana freak, all of them hear the grain pot rattle.  Have discovered that a handful of varied treats, a chair and a cuppa work wonders: you sit there, dribbling tiny bits around your feet and they start to feel confident & start trying to get stuff from your hand to be the first!!
ManicMum

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 00:17 »
Our favourite game at the moment is turning over old bricks to see what's underneath.  And the answer is... crickets! My littlest girl, Minnie-Rose, was proving to be the most cautious and would stand well back from me, but now we've started the brick game she's always the closest to me and gets rewarded by the pick of the crickets.

I now have to shoo her off the brick because whenever I put my hand on one, she jumps on the same one.  Then I have to be careful when I put it down that I don't squash someone's toes. 

Playing games and making friends with them is a lovely pass-time.  Just remember not to spend all day doing it.   :D

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 08:12 »
Read the "Done our good deed" thread in ChickenChat: that lady near Boston is looking to get rid of her Silkies.  Would that be anywhere near you?  Could help her, and build your pair up to a flock.

mooie

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:48 »
manicmum I will go and find that thread now  :) Also thanks for the advice and to you too Lindeggs I have a feeling its going to be lots of fun finding out which treats each of them like the most, and ill TRY not to spend all day with them Lindeggs but please remember i did say try so if i do you can't tell me off! Lol  :tongue2:

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 13:27 »
One thing you may not be aware of is that silkies go broody at the drop of a hat. They're not very good egg layers because of this. I have one silkie in my batch of 6 hens and she only lays for 3 weeks then goes broody for about 6 weeks, takes 2 weeks to recover, lays for 3 weeks then repeats the pattern. Ask anyone with sikies! they are cute but if you're not looking to use them for hatching they can be a pain.

mooie

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 13:37 »
I did a lot of research on silkies so yep I do know that they can go very broody, Ive not got them for hatching eggs nor have i got them for lots of eggs. I have got them for a few eggs and because I like them  :)

xx
Noisy Hen Help Needed

Started by scampy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 21:48
by poultrygeist
xx
Noisy Hen - Advice Please!

Started by peachesandclive on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 10:16
by UrbanG
question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
question
Sorry! More advice needed

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 20:08
by nicchick

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 32 queries.