lotty plan help please

• 3 Replies

MoreWhisky

lotty plan help please
« on: March 14, 2011, 00:01 »
Im just putting the finishing touches to the  plan of this yrs lottyand have a couple issues i could do with some advice on.

I have placed my row of peas next to the potatoes, Are these good companions? As i have somewhere in my head that they dont like being next to each other. But i could be wrong.

Also i have planned on my Squash plants (which are bullys) being next to my strawberrys, My idea in this is the strawberrys being finished will allow me to train the squash over them as they need. But will this harm my strawberry bed ?

Any advice would be great. I always seem to have problems getting everything in. Would you believe i had everthing sorted and realised i forgot room for the courgettes lol   
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: lotty plan help please
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:28 »
I have never ever bothered about what I grow next to my peas. But what do I know?  ;)

I would not let your squash trail over anything, through maybe, but not over. All plants need light to photosynthesise and this is still very important after fruiting. You'd end up with really weedy plants, if any at all.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

savbo

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:01 »
I have never ever bothered about what I grow next to my peas.

you have other plants apart from peas!  :ohmy:  :)

Sweatndirt

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:02 »
The crop rotation advice here http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/crop-rotation/four-year-crop-rotation.php shows legumes following potatoes (I assume it means they grow in the next bed/area and roll into the next bed the following year), that's what I've planned anyway  :)

xx
New lotty

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 19:08
by oakfairy
xx
new lotty.

Started by janet12000 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 07:53
by BrianK
xx
We've got a lotty - nearly

Started by WhiteWolf on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post September 20, 2012, 17:54
by Yorkie
xx
Hi Ho....of to the Lotty we go.

Started by Axe Victim on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 27, 2007, 18:54
by milkman

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 36 queries.