herby questions, any advice?

• 8 Replies

earthing83

• Experienced Member
herby questions, any advice?
« on: March 13, 2011, 14:11 »
Hello folks,
Its been a long time since I have been on here. Now I don't have access to my gardeing books (flooded flat over winter, books are in storage) so I thought I might be able to get some advice.
I keep looking at my herbs and frowning, all in containers on the patio, most of which have been out all winter under the snow and frosts and now look very sad  :( I forgot to cover them up or bring them in. Can anyone help with these questions?

Rosemary-I thought this would survive but it's bare and there is no sign of new growth. As it's supposed to be evergreen, I'm guessing this means its a gonna?!

Lavender-Still looking fairly green..ish, with leaves. Should I prune it and how is it best do do this?

Oregano-bare bare bare, I'm guessing prob dead?

Thanks in advance!

bigben

Re: herby questions, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 14:21 »
I only grow rosemary from your list - mine has been green all winter so if yours is not then you might be right - it might have died.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 14:30 »
I have all three of those herbs in my garden. None of them have really come back into growth yet, so they do look a little tired right now, but they've all kept leaves through the winter. My rosemary is in a big tub but the others are planted into beds in the garden. All my herbs live outside and fend for themselves through the winter apart from basil, parsley and coriander, which I resow every year.

I maybe wouldn't give up on them just yet. If they're in pots, you could try giving them some fresh compost or a bit of a feed, but I'd give them a couple of weeks yet to see if they start putting off any new shoots.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 14:35 »
My lavender and oregano look dead too but I doubt that they are, and I would give them time.  I top dressed my scraggy looking mint this morning after snipping off all the dead thatch.  I saw that new mint leaves were emerging at the base of the plant.  I have lost some rosemary cuttings but they were small so little wonder.  I had though given up on a French tarragon in my greenhouse but I saw today that there are signs of life  :)

I have lots of pots of dead looking perennials too but they will come good I'm sure, so don't be too hasty to consign them to the compost heap  :)

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 15:13 »
Our Basil, which was only planted last year, definitely looks as if it hasn't made it
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 15:26 »
Basil is annual so you would expect it to die, sad but true  :(

gillie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 16:22 »
I fear your rosemary is dead but they are not terribly hardy and sometimes short lived so it may have died anyway.

Do not prune the lavender back into old growth.  It will not regrow.  Give the oregano a light trim over.  It may regrow.

Basil is very tender and would not make it through even a mild winter but it comes easily from seed.

It is not a good time of year for herbs!

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 17:52 »
Thanks for your replies and advice. I think the oregano is def past hope now but I will feed and give new compost to the others and see what happens. By the way what do people use to feed herbs? Just basic fruit and veg feed?
Gillie, when you say don't prune back the lavender to old growth, do you mean don't prune at all? As all of it is last years growth. I'm still new to pruning you see!!

Willowfire

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 18:19 »
Hi.  Since killing my first lavender by hard pruning this is how I do it now.  I trim off all the flower spikes which I left on over winter for the goldfinches to feed on.  Then I give the bush a light trim to even it out.  As regards new growth verses old growth.  The new growth is very supple and you could bend it with your fingers without it breaking.  The old growth has a wood like quality and is more brittle. Lavender will never grow back from hard pruning even if you don't cut it all the way back to the base.  They all get leggy after a few years and if you want to keep the area looking neat  take cuttings after two years and then in the fourth year replace the whole bush with the two year old cutting, which by then will have grown into a neat little replacement bush.     
We are here on earth to do good to others, what the others are here for I don't know.

xx
Couple of Herby questions

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 13:48
by herbiegrowsbananas
xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
A few questions!

Started by Polytunnel-er on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 12:38
by Stevens706

Page created in 0.662 seconds with 38 queries.