I have forgotten to cut back raspberries

• 14 Replies

• Experienced Member
I have forgotten to cut back raspberries
« on: March 13, 2011, 09:07 »
I have just noticed that my raspberries have started to bud on the old canes from last year and need a bit of advice.  Shall I cut them back now?  I also need to thin them out a bit can I also do that now?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: I have forgotten to cut back raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:11 »
most important thing............are they summer or autumn raspberries?

You'll lose the fruit if you prune summer ones, but you're still ok to prune the autumn kind

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:13 »
Sorry should have said autumn ones.  I was just concerned as they have started to bud  :wacko:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 09:15 »
Go and do it NOW! I Only got around to doing mine a couple of days ago.

Last year due to illness I didn't get around to doing it at all. OK I had a few earlier fruit on the old canes, but the crop on the new ones wasn't anywhere near as good as the previous years.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:19 »
Go and do it NOW! I Only got around to doing mine a couple of days ago.

Last year due to illness I didn't get around to doing it at all. OK I had a few earlier fruit on the old canes, but the crop on the new ones wasn't anywhere near as good as the previous years.

Off to put my wellies over my pj's and go and chop some canes!

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 14:25 »
DD I was going to leave mine as I got Summer AND Autumn crops from some of my plants last year by not cutting down.
Then I thought about it and having smaller berries for longer is not as good as the huge berries I got on the new canes in Autumn so I've cut them down.
It's done now but the old canes had alot of strong growth on. Will this impair the crop on the new canes which are just coming up, or could it be good in that there are more goodies for the new canes now?

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 15:02 »
For some reason my Autumn canes sent up several new canes in late Summer last year. I have left a selected few of these and I am hoping for a summer crop from them. The rest I cut to the ground as normal.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 15:48 »
And... this clever lad has his summer and autumn raspberries all muddled up in a long row. Now that really does add to the confusion added to which there are several varieties.  :wacko:

So this year I intend to mark the canes so that I know which fruited in the summer. It may give me a fighting chance to get the pruning right. Perhaps  :blink:  :unsure:

Generally hopeless with raspberries  :blush:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 16:44 »
DD I was going to leave mine as I got Summer AND Autumn crops from some of my plants last year by not cutting down.
Then I thought about it and having smaller berries for longer is not as good as the huge berries I got on the new canes in Autumn so I've cut them down.
It's done now but the old canes had alot of strong growth on. Will this impair the crop on the new canes which are just coming up, or could it be good in that there are more goodies for the new canes now?

By getting the old canes out now, you'll divert the plant,s growing energy into the new ones.

ex-cavator

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 17:37 »
I've just - literally ONLY just - put in both summer fruiting and autumn fruiting canes (Glen Clova & Autumn Bliss). The summer fruiting have a few buds on them. Do I need to further cut down either variety? Sorry, newbie-type question  :blush:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 17:58 »
The Autumn Bliss could be cut down, but leave the others alone as you may get a few fruit off the canes. For this year you could leave well alone whilst they get established, then proceed as normal.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 18:04 »
And... this clever lad has his summer and autumn raspberries all muddled up in a long row.

Cut down the canes that have fruited, after they fruit. That will work fine for both Autumn and Summer fruiting types - and then you don't need to worry about knowing which-are-which (unless you have other reasons for wanting to know, of course :) )
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 22:17 by Kristen »

SG6

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 20:47 »
Wouldn't worry too much about pruning them if  bit late.
The leaves produce the food not the roots, that why they have leaves. Photosynthesis produces the sugars that the plants uses as food. Roots take up water and a few minerals that are used in the process. Water+CO2+Sunlight+Leaf = Sugars.

If plants produced food at the root why would they grow leaves?
They would be useless and a waste of energy.
Leaves evaporate water so no leaves would mean the plant could survive in drier conditions as well as the wetter ones. Evolution isn't that daft.

viettaclark

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 22:43 »
Phew! Let's hope I get a decent crop in the Autumn........
Then I should think about getting some Summer canes perhaps.....hmmmm....more lawn disappearing....

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 23:36 »
And... this clever lad has his summer and autumn raspberries all muddled up in a long row.

Cut down the canes that have fruited, after they fruit. That will work fine for both Autumn and Summer fruiting types - and then you don't need to worry about knowing which-are-which (unless you have other reasons for wanting to know, of course :) )

That makes a great deal of sense - thanks  ;)

xx
When and how to cut back raspberries?

Started by balfie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 13:07
by balfie
xx
When to cut back Raspberries

Started by gembob on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 23:52
by gembob
xx
Cutting back raspberries

Started by smnbin on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 10:13
by DD.
xx
Bringing raspberries back from the dead

Started by ghrobbo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 14:19
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.571 seconds with 38 queries.