First time nerves!!!

• 8 Replies

LaraJ

First time nerves!!!
« on: March 10, 2011, 21:17 »
Hello

I've just joined and have introduced myself on the Introduce yourself board and now I have nipped over here to ask for a bit of help, as you do!!

Got a lovely well looked after allotment, all done on the very traditional long bed system - ie. no raised beds with paths and such like.   Already has summer and autumn-fruiting raspberries, rhubarb, balckcurrants and blackberries.   It's a half plot with about 5 bed areas to play with.   I have potatoes chitting away at home, some onion sets and some garlic.   I also have about a million packets of seeds - lots of freebies from magazines like carrot, beetroot, pea.   I am dying to get going, but I have got an attack of nerves about when to start it all and the feeling that once things are underway it has so much more potential to all go horribly wrong!!!   See, at the moment, I have wonderful looking beds of crumbly soil that I have gone over and weeded and it all looks so perfect.   When you flick through magazines and books it all looks lovely too because they plop in all the veg that is all at the same size and has never seen a slug or a pigeon.   I have tried in the past to raise seed on the windowsill and I always go too early so by the time it can go out, it is way too leggy and spindly.   My little back garden faces due north and is surrounded by houses, so anything I have practised in the past has yielded only disappointment.   Now I have my own little mini-homestead I want to make a good start and get it right.   Any advice and encouragement will be gratefully received.

Lara

Paul Plots

Re: First time nerves!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 21:35 »
Don't panic..... take it easy  ;)

How about starting off some beetroot in cells? You could place them outside in a sunny spot as they don't need to be overly warm to germinate. Easier to keep an eye on them at home.

The advantage would be, when they've germinated and have a few true leaves, you wander up to the plot, poke a line in and then space your beetroot out exactly where you want them. Makes for easier weeding and no worries about will the seed dry out between visits to the plot or even come up.

It'd be a start. 
April 13th 2009_004.jpg
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 21:36 »
Hello Lara, there's nothing to worry about.
In you first year some things will work well, some things not so well, and some will  just :( never mind......it's finding out what works for you and your plot :)

here is a sowing chart, so you get some idea when to start sowing what
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

and here are pages to help with crop rotation
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/crop-rotation/crop-family-group.php

Anymore questions?...just ask away :)

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 21:39 »
Lara, don't worry just enjoy yourself.
Spend time up front planning.
Put together a sowing chart or use the one on this site (mumofstig's link).
Grow what you like to eat.
We all have a million packet of seeds. Its a bit of an addiction we growers get from time to time. I have all the Beetroot seed in the world!
Consider what could go wrong with each crop and think about prevention.
Don't sow seeds too early as germination rates can be poor and plants go leggy.
Ask for advice on here and don't worry about asking daft questions, we all ask them from time to time.
We all have crop failures, its part of the enjoyment (I think).
Veg all the same size, I don't think so it wouldn't be normal.
Most of all enjoy yourself and keep smiling, life's far too short.
 :D :D :D :D :D :D

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 21:57 »
Welcome LaraJ you've joined a good site here , you will get mixed views on here but it's all done to try and help. I got a lottie about 2 years ago and had to start from scratch , back braking digging , grass growing past my knees but it sounds like you've got an established plot so well done you . My first year i tried to cheat nature with a warm propagator , lost the lot through leggy veg dampening seedlings , the prop is now in the shed . Inow read the seed packets and follow those and start stuff in the potting shed and then convert to the cool greenhouse and cold frame before planting out. I dont use window sills at home anymore , my better half cough! thinks they look unsitely don't know why , who where's the pants ? At the moment all i've got going , apart from stuff i put in last year is chitting spuds ready to put in on St Patricks day or thereabouts. You'll find you will learn very Quickly and the best of luck and enjoy and remember it's a marathon not a sprint, Oh and don't get disappointed at losses cos we all get them , even the guys that have been growing years .

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:21 »
I was where you are last year. Got some things right but not everything. Learnt a lot and am having another go this year. Things get better as you learn more.

This year I'm not starting too early - mainly going by what it says on the packets. Also when I put seeds in I only use some of them. Then a few weeks later put some more in. Sods law says that some of them will survive the wet/frost/pigeons/slugs/etc.

Once your first year is done you will have a lot more confidence/knowledge - just get on and enjoy.

Regards WG

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:11 »
Wecome LaraJ

Everybody makes mistakes.
Mine when I first started included but not limited to.
1 Leaving plastic cover on seed trays after germination, plants get leggy.
2 Planting to close to each other, end up having to hand weed.
3 Puting plants in, intending to get some net the following day, only to find the pigeons get up early than I do and need breakfast, my plants.

Enjoy, relax and take time to sit back with a cup of tea and be proud of what you have done. Even a clear bed with nothing growing looks great after you have spent time weeding. 

savbo

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 11:23 »
Hi Lara

nothing rocket science here, but where you are (which is just down the road from us) I would go pretty much in the middle of the sowing chart times - so if it says Feb-Apr I'm scheduling planting in for mid March.
This is the first year I've tried to sketch out a sort-of week-by-week sowing list (Late feb, early mar, mid mar, late mar, early apr etc) and although I'm already a week behind, I at least know where I'm at and it's all not too daunting.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 11:53 »
Welcome to ths brilliant forum! You will find everyone on here so helpful and you may have some advice to give us later on. We never stop learning or get everything right, even after years at it. One bit of advice is to get yourself a little book and write down what seeds you have, when to sow them, where they go and also their spacings. Also, have another page to write down the jobs you have to do. This will help clear your mind and it's a great feeling when you cross some items off. At the end of the year, write down what was good and what to try or do / not to do next year. I'm a bit further up than salvo and I haven't sown anything yet. Don't try to accomplish things too quickly or grow too many different things - most of all - good luck! :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
Time for a re-think

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 13:45
by Aidy
xx
Is it time

Started by Kimberley04 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 17:20
by jazzbyrd
xx
Next time

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 16:18
by boosh

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 38 queries.