Friend or Foe

• 5 Replies

Fraggle

Friend or Foe
« on: March 09, 2011, 19:08 »
Hi All,
Im new so please excuse any pretty daft questions I may ask along the way!!  ::)
My 2 children and I have decided to keep 3 chickens in the back garden...one each. I printed some pictures of various breeds off the internet and we've chosen one each. However I am very aware that some do not mix for reasons of size etc, so please give me you views on the 3 we have chosen.....

Rhode Island Red Hen
Silver Laced Wyandotte Hen
Buff Orpington Hen (this ones mine!)

If they are 3 that should get on, does anybody know of somewhere in East Anglia where I may be able to get all 3 together??

Thanks

dilsdaisy

Re: Friend or Foe
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 19:14 »
Hi have no useful advice whatsever but just wanted to say I am fairly new to all this too and Rita our Buff Orpington is gorgeous in looks and nature and eggs! .. if I could I'd have a dozen more
Sure someone will be along to answer properly soon!

1x Light Sussex, 1 x Brahma, 1x Buff Orpington, 2 x cats , 2 x guinea pigs, 4 x kids , 1 x husband

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 19:21 »
Hi Fraggle

That wouldn't be my choice but hey keeping chickens is meant to be fun. There is no real reason why your choice should not work. You will be hard pushed to find all three breeds at one supplier but good luck.

http://www.poultry.allotment-garden.org/poultry-suppliers/live-poultry-egg-supplier-east-anglia.php

Fraggle

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 19:31 »
Vecten, what 3 chickens wold you suggest for a newby? And if we wanted 3 different ones?

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 20:03 »
If you have a look at the Omlet site - http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/breeds.php?breed_type=Chickens They give an overview of all of the chicken breeds, plus reviews from owners. I've found this really helpful when selecting the various breeds. Welcome to the world of chickens - you'll be obsessed for life!

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 20:20 »
Vecten, what 3 chickens wold you suggest for a newby? And if we wanted 3 different ones?

Like I said, it's meant to be fun. You and your kids chose those, stick with them :)

They are not the cheapest or the best layers but they were your family choice and will give you a lot of pleasure.

xx
Advice for a friend please

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 15, 2011, 01:11
by viettaclark
xx
Getting a rooster a friend?

Started by specky0s on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 13:34
by tode
xx
Please can anyone help my friend with info??

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 11:48
by Aunt Sally
xx
Introducing a 'friend' ! ?

Started by jennie hennie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 08:23
by Sassy

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 37 queries.