Stagger Sweetcorn seed sowing

• 22 Replies

Ghost

Stagger Sweetcorn seed sowing
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:51 »
Hi

Never grown this before. Obviously I know it's too early to do it now. I just wondered though, do the seeds from the same packet all become ready to harvest at the same time? Is there a way to stagger the harvest, for example sowing seeds in the ground and some in the greenhouse?

Thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Stagger Sweetcorn seed sowing
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:56 »
There's no reason why you can't stagger the sowing a bit, but bear in mind that you need to grow in blocks for good pollination and you'll have to accept that you will get a lot ready within a narrow space of time.

Personally I'd never sow sweetcorn direct due to germination issues, but you could do a couple of staggered sowings in the greenhouse, bearing in mind the later one would probably catch up quite a bit.

The other alternative is two blocks of two different varities, kept well apart.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Ghost

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10 »
Ah it doesn't really sound like it's worth it. I'm growing in my garden so don't have the space for 2 blocks. What's the minimium amount of plants in a block do you think?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:14 »

Ghost

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:21 »
Thanks

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:45 »
DD link says it all but to add my 2 pence worth.

9 in a 3ft x 3ft block. Climbing beans alongside each sweetcorn. 1 Squash in the middle.
Its called The 3 Sisters companion planting. Sweetcorn supply support for beans & squash suppress weeds. Needs a lot of feeding but if you only have a little space give it a try.

I also chit my sweetcorn by placing the seeds in an air tight container in between 2 sheets of damp kitchen role, stored in a dark cupboard. You must check the seeds daily because it only take about 3/4 days before they need puting in pots in a warm & light  place.   

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 14:41 »
I have always found sweetcorn needs quite a long growing season, so staggering the crops might mean you loose out with the later ones. Sounds like you've already decided against it anyway!

bigben

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 15:03 »
I agree with Jome - unless your in part of country where your likely to get a lot of sun you might not get much from a second sowing. I struggled to get much from one sowing last year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 15:10 »
Much as I love home grown sweetcorn I rarely get more than one and a bit decent cobs per plant, and my theory is that it's due not only to the poor recent summers (which obviously don't help), but also incomplete pollination of the 2nd and 3rd female "silks" because the pollen seems to start being produced almost before any of the silks appear and often appears to be "spent" before all the silks have developed.

So I will be experimenting this year with two batches, probably sown about 2 weeks apart, the second batch will be planted upwind of the first. Don't see there's a lot to lose unless this summer is even more dreadful than the last few have been.

Ghost seems to have made up his/her mind, but I would still think it was worth a go as long as you were growing at least 18 in total (only grow about 30 myself!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ghost

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 15:16 »
All this talk about sweetcorn is making my mouth water thinking about cooking some on a barbecue.  :)

Babstreefern

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 15:56 »
I plant my sweetcorn seeds in individual plastic cups (one in each), and plant them all out at one go.  I don't bother staggering the planting.  When they're ready to harvest I do various methods of freezing, eg, a few cobs, and chop the rest in plastic bags to freeze.  Lovely jubbly - great for Christmas dinner.  I also freeze my asparagus for the same reason - save them for Christmas - something to remember why you go through the same rigmarole of growing and working, especially if you've been on the allotment on a really cold and blustery day in winter :D
Babs

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 17:06 »
I have been successful in the past and had some yummy cobs but last year was a disaster. I think growing them for the first time with my beans cast some shade and they didn't pollinate too well. I believe you can plant them wherever there is space. Our local farmers grow them for cattle feed and put huge quantities of manure on them so I will go back to putting them in my brassica bed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 18:55 »
I grow three batches in the greenhouse 21-Mar,  01-Apr, 15-Apr (fortnightly, but I round the numbers in my plan!)

And then three batches for outdoor crops 01-May, 15-May, 01-Jun

The 01-Jun crop is a bit chancy, ripening around mid September

I never really get more than 1 cob per plant.  I think the variety I plant ("Swift") has been bred to be too short, so it crops within our short season - it bears it cob on about the third leaf joint, and I don't think there is enough "plant" to carry any more. I sometimes get a cob higher up, but the corns are terribly misshapen.

I plant nearer to 15"-18" apart - I think 12" is crowing the plant and may lead to smaller cobs. I've not had a problem with pollination (I shake the ones in the greenhouse, which produces clouds of pollen, but the outdoor ones never produce anything when I do that, so I assume the wind got there before me!)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 19:01 »
I always have wonderful sweetcorn 2 or 3 cobs per plant. they love a weekly drink of comfrey tea  ;)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 19:06 »
I always have wonderful sweetcorn 2 or 3 cobs per plant. they love a weekly drink of comfrey tea  ;)

What variety do you grow?

xx
Sowing Sweetcorn

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 16:17
by gavinjconway
xx
Sowing sweetcorn

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 14:44
by TerryB
xx
sowing sweetcorn

Started by poohpouri on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 14:39
by Schubunny
xx
Sowing sweetcorn

Started by Muddywaters on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 15:34
by JayG

Page created in 0.786 seconds with 38 queries.