just as a matter of interest

• 25 Replies

Vecten

• Experienced Member
Re: just as a matter of interest
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 19:36 »
If the supermarkets are paying the farmer less than it costs to produce the goods, there will be no goods. Simples.

It's not going to happen is it. The supermarkets have to have produce, are they going to take people off the checkouts to grow it?

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 19:41 »
In our local paper here in Derby their is is an article on a farmer who has got 12,000 hens for sale!! The reason is because after certain age the hens start laying slightly different eggs, which the supermarkets will no longer accept. Is it just me or as the retail industry started to get far to big for their boots on what is just a natural process and are they brainwashing us as to what we should class as an acceptable egg,  its seem's they do this allready with fruit and veg. The hens are being sold this saturday and sunday at the farm at Stanton Hall in Derbyshire at a price of 4 pound each or 3 for a tenner if anybody can give them a good home, if anybody out their is interested. I will just say ive no connection at all with this farmer, but im just flabbergasted at this newspaper article if this is what goes on in todays world, ta Andy.

As far as I understand it there are several reasons farmers clear out their hens as they go into their first moult

The first is that as chicks they are vaccinated.  This vaccination is only effective for around 18 mths.

Secondly the birds will lay weaker shelled eggs as they go into their moult, then no eggs at all, then thinner shelled eggs until back into full production  -  but as second year layers their production level will be far lower, but they will eat the same amount of food

Thirdly - the modern hybrids have been developed to lay an abnormal quantity of eggs, with the result that after some months of this their bodies just often give out under the strain.

If I were to be buying a "spent hen" I feel the name says it all - I would expect to pay no more than £1 each and would be pleased if less than half expired within the first few months.

I am not condoning what is happening -  I just offer information to those who may not have the facts of the matter.

I think Cyril Bason's POL are only around £5 or £6 each , so at £4 I think your farmer will be laughing all the way to the bank

I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 20:07 »
Any female is born with a finite number of eggs already in her body. Chickens are bred to use up almost all those eggs within the first 80 to 90 weeks of their life.

Gandan57

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 20:25 »
I totally agree with you ManicMum.

The way supermarkets screw british farmers is an absolute scandal.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 20:48 »
I think Cyril Bason's POL are only around £5 or £6 each , so at £4 I think your farmer will be laughing all the way to the bank

£8 to £9 actually, but they have come down in price, when we were going to buy from Bason's a few years back, Im sure they were £12 plus.

But yes I agree, if the farmer gets £4 for them, he will have made a profit from them as well as all the eggs they've laid.

And I'm sorry Vecten, although you are right in that we need to educate the people we know, most of this is dictated by the supermarkets.  They DO tell us what we want, its part of their marketing strategy.  That's why certain things are always near the checkouts, to get you to impulse buy them.  That's why they move things around every so often, so that to find what you want, you have to keep wandering around looking for it, and buying all the others 'bargains' you see in passing.

I don't want to turn this into a political debate or Auntie will lock the thread, but I know a farmer, when we lived in Essex who was making 3p profit on each meat chicken he sold.  I think another was mentioned on the forum a few years back, and Brian's friend Don who used to have a turkey farm, was approached by a buyer from Safeway back in the late 90's.  We will buy all your turkeys he told Don.  Oh yes, Don said and how much will you pay me for the?  £8 each he was told.  At the time it was costing us, more than £8 to rear them, so although a bit cheaper for Don, he still wouldn't have made much on each turkey.  So he told the buyer where to go and carried on selling them from his own little shop for £25 !

And if the farmers demand more money for their produce, the supermarkets will just buy more in from abroad.  sorry, rant over

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 21:22 »
You are right in saying that supermarkets will source from the cheapest available and most sustainable producer but I can't accept that it is not demand led. People want cheap produce.

Casey76

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 08:01 »
I would say that although people are becoming more aware now, many people are still ignorant of where thier food actually comes from.

Wheni have to buy eggs (and thatnkfully it is not often now), I purposely buy free range organic eggs - I wont even buy barn eggs knowning the density in which hens can be kept in barns according to the EU directives.  But they are almost 4x the price of caged hen eggs.

I guess a lot of people look at the eggs and think "well I can buy 30 eggs for 2.50€, or I could buy 6 for 3.80€... hmm"

Also, people have to remember that even if they buy free range eggs, the majority of eggs in ready made food stuffs are from caged hens, and until the manufactureres change thier suppliers there isn't much we can do to avoid it.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 08:20 »
also supermarket buyers agree a price before the start of the growing season then when the time comes to gather the crops the supermarkets want to renegotiate the price - if the grower refuses the supermarkets walk away and go else where leaving the farmer with loads of produce and no buyer.
As for exbatts, ex barn and ex free rangers the usual cost per bird through a rescue charity is £2.50 - £3.00 (they buy them off the farmer for about 50p) and this cost is to cover the rescue charities costs of fuel etc. These rescue centres - BHWT, Little Hen Rescue etc keep or foster out the very injured ones and the medical bills have to be paid for. The reasoning behind rescuing (for most who do it) is not to get eggs from these birds but to help salve our consciences and give at least a few the chance of a normal chicken life.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 08:58 »
You are right in saying that supermarkets will source from the cheapest available and most sustainable producer but I can't accept that it is not demand led. People want cheap produce.

It is human nature to buy the cheapest and supermarket prices are led by competition. I also believe that they tell us what we want - if we can't see what we want we have to buy what they have.

Milk and pork being sold for less than it costs to produce is not a recent thing. Thousands of dairy farmers have gone out of business or just sold up. We now import milk from France!!!!!
Many farmers stay with what they do because they could not live a different life. :( >:(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 09:10 »
I know what you mean Vecten, but back in the 50's chicken was a Sunday treat, not for during the week.  But our Mum's didn't go to the shop and say I want that chicken cheaper so I can have it on Tuesday.

It was the introduction of intensive farming which meant the farmers could cram more into the same space and buy more feed which is cheaper the more you buy and as the supermarkets came along and like Sassy said competition got hotter, that started off the cheap food wars.

Dairy Farmers used to be able to sell their milk to who they liked, then the CAP came along and the EU and they started putting quotas on things like milk.  But only after the banks had persuaded the farmers to borrow millions on all the expensive equipment they needed.  

You can't go over your quota unless you buy some from someone else who is may be retiring.  When I worked for the NFU in the 80's, the samaritans actually opened a special dept to ty to stop the farmers from committing suicide because they didn't know which way to turn.  They were held back over how much they could produce, and the banks were yelling for their money.

But I won't say anymore as I can see this post getting overheated. Sorry mods!!!

Dominic

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 09:57 »
Regarding future egg production.

Human females are born with some fifty thousand eggs, per ovary, of which they have two.
13 eggs are expended a year, human women dont live for 7500 years.

Comercial hens are bred to produce lots of eggs quickly, but they should still be laying two a week when they're five. 
Most "backyard" hens will be have been bred for speedy over lengthy production originaly anyway.

I think the BHWT is great, but farmers selling on their "spent" chickens is (or should be) the endgame for them, at which point they can cheer they arent needed anymore and disolve.

UK Farmers are in dire straites, but its wrong and extremely unhelpful to just shout "down with Tesco".
Yes, supermarkets are hard customers to deal with, do you think they are just ********* with British Farmers but throw bags of money at Kiwis?
The UK and EU has an extremely uncompetive environment for farming, its actualy illegal to plough land, except within EU dictated Plouighing seasons.
Thats before we consider CAP and the ineffective but time consuming disease control red tape.

Finaly, we have the farmers themselves.
A small sheep farm in New Zealand might be 1000 acres.
Here a small sheep farm is 100 acres.
A big sheep farm in New Zealand might be 60,000 Acres.

There is currently, or was recently, a farming estate for sale in wales.
The Brecon Estate.  It totaled 1500 acres.  Divided into eight farms.
Anywhere else in the world, that would have been made into a single farm decades ago.
You can have a small one man band farm if youre making a speciality product, not if your making standard quality pork.
Think Super Car compared to Hatchback....

What the UK farming sector desperatly needs is to fail.
The people who really want to make a go of it need to then buy the land from the 10 farms that surround them and sell the farmhouses to stockbrokers.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

xx
Run interest..

Started by LoupyLou on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 18:04
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Does size really matter?

Started by danmegal on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 10:55
by GrannieAnnie
xx
does size matter????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 09:28
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Does it matter if they don't perch to roost?

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 00:26
by Pol

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 38 queries.