COMPOST

• 5 Replies

Crumbly Oldy

• I also have an energetic leisure activity
COMPOST
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:42 »
Still struggling to find my way around the site so probably posted this in the wrong place, but here goes.
I have read recently that I can add newspaper to the trench I have dug for my runner beans and also to my compost heap.  On CEEFAX today, page 120, it reports that recycled cardboard used for food packaging is contaminating food contents with toxic chemicals.  The chemicals are known as mineral oils and come from printing inks.  Does this mean that newspapers and other shredded printed matter could introduce these chemicals into the soil/roots?  I am about to take four bags of shredded paper to the plot.
Crumbly Oldy

Edit to correct title
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 13:16 by mumofstig »
Crumbly Oldy

Crumbly Oldy

• I also have an energetic leisure activity
Re: COMPSOT
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:43 »
That should of course read COMPOST

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: COMPOST
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 13:29 »
It is COMPOST now, and so is your duplicate question which was in Chatting on the Plot, cos I've deleted it ;)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 13:47 »
It's a bit of a set-back for recycling, which was beginning to really get going, virgin cardboard for cereal packets, seems so extravagant now doesn't it? We've always been told on this forum that the inks in newspapers were harmless, so now we'll all be in a quandary I suppose. I'm not going to worry about it too much, I generally use shredded office paper in my compost bins and haven't really got into using newspaper pots.
They were saying on the news this morning that it's down to the manufacturers of packaging to deal with this problem, but it seems to me that it should go back to the newspaper printers - why aren't they using harmless inks, as we all supposed they already were?
Rachael

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 14:15 »
This item was on the one o'clock news today and is a bit of a bombshell as of course it applies to cardboard as well as newspaper, both of which many of us use as compost ingrediients.

I've been trying to find advice on-line and up to now I've not got very far, although I certainly get the impression the that mineral inks are not readily biodegradable.

I'm certainly not about to dump all my precious compost and will pin my hopes to plant's ability to only take up what they need and also poor Mother Nature's ability to overcome most of the bad things the human race keeps challenging her with!

In the long term I think there will now be intense pressure for the inks we have always assumed to be safe to be replaced ASAP.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 22:45 »
It's another scare story. Ignore it.

The press just love to terrify us with stuff like this. The inks used for printing foodstuff packaging are as safe as anything else we are surrounded with in our daily lives.

If you were to believe all the nonsense that's published you wouldn't bother getting out of bed in the morning. Far better to just curl up and die than run the remote risk that something unpleasant might happen. >:(

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.901 seconds with 38 queries.