Plot on a slope?

• 11 Replies

Becci W

Plot on a slope?
« on: March 07, 2011, 21:08 »
Hi everyone,

I have been battling against waterlogging for the last few years on half of my plot. I have now found out there is a natural spring, hence the problems are never going to resolve. The commitee have agreed to move me to a new plot. There are two potential plots.

Plot 1. Relatively flat but on the same very heavy clay that I have had on my current plot. Work needed but It doesn't bother me
or
Plot 2. On a slope, gentle at the bottom but gets steep towards the top. The top section is levelled off with space for a shed and greenhouse. Has just as much work as the other one.

I really like the feel of the one on the slope but want some advice from current plot holders that have a plot on a slope to find out the pros and cons. Does anyone have any photos of their plots on a slope?
Would you terrace your beds on the steep bits or would you just leave the beds to follow the contour?

Would really appreciate your comments and advice, thanks!

Nikkithefoot

Re: Plot on a slope?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 21:40 »
My plot is at the top of a slope. It is orientated roughly so that the top of the slope is SW and the bottom NE. It does get full sun until late evening when it gets shaded from trees on my neighbours plot.

I have to be slightly careful where I plant tall things, generally keeping them to the northish side of the plot so they don't cast shade.

In terms of drainage mine is well drained, but requires more watering than the plots at the bottom of the slope.

I haven't terraced my plot, as the slope isn't that steep.

For every advantage there is a disadvantage.

Check the orientation, any potential shade casting plants, and take it from there.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 21:59 »
All else being equal I'd go for the one on the flat, although only you can weigh up the pros and cons / how you feel about each plot.

I would probably advise to terrace, or you run the risk of water not being retained and also of nutrients being washed down the slope.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 23:03 »
I grow on a bit of a slope. A big con is that anything that needs to be barrowed uphill is a beast. Downhill, it's great. If possible, I'd terrace the higher section and lightly terrace the lower end so that your beds/raised beds are level and aren't susceptible to heavy rain washout. By the same token, heavy rains will run off and not flood your growing areas.

Before you decide, check the amount of sun both plots will get, what sort of immediate neighbors will you have (forewarned is forearmed), is one closer to private property (and problems), the amount of junk which might have to be moved away, access to water if needed in future.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:10 »
I'd probably decide by meeting my future neighbours.  If there was some pain in the neck neighbour on one plot I'd go for the other.  :D

Go for the one that feels right to you!

plopleuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:25 »
I have a slight slope to my plot and have put staggering beds down it to level each bit off just like large steps with paths in between.
as i am usually collecting manure for the plot its easy going down the slope to my compost heaps and going back with the empty barrow is easy.
i haven't had any wash out issues so far and its great looking down to see the whole plot for planning.
and as i have put my shed at the bottom sitting outside it in sun (when we get it) i still get to see the most of the plot so i can sit and admire my hard work.
since the set up (only got it mid summer last year) work has been fairly easy.

good luck with your choice

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:29 »
My plot slopes north to south and the northern part slopes gently west to east. I have no problems. just plenty of sun!!!
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

gillie

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:55 »
Fruit bushes would be perfectly happy on the most steeply sloping part.

bigben

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:18 »
Mine is on a slope and I have terraced it. It has the advantage that because of where it points it acts like the seats in the cinema so tall plants lower down dont block the sun for smaller stuff higher up.

Becci W

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 17:27 »
Thanks! Some really good advice, some that I hadn't considered! Will consider my options carefully!

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 17:50 »
This is my plot with a fairly basic terrace, easy enough to construct if you're not too fussy about getting everything to line up perfectly.
New Terrace.jpg

Dreamer@45

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 18:35 »
I’m on a gentle sw facing slope with no over hanging trees so drainage and sun are good and no need for terracing or raised beds. Why not write a list of pros and cons of each site? The one with the fewest cons wins! :)

xx
Growing on a slope

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 06:22
by Growster...
xx
Digging on a slope

Started by Hadakare on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2015, 18:12
by 3759allen
xx
Grow your own.. on a steep slope?

Started by Porffor on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 15:00
by Porffor
xx
Growing on a slope advice please

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 20:23
by purplebean

Page created in 0.625 seconds with 36 queries.