POL rhode rock loss of appetite

• 4 Replies

JOP

POL rhode rock loss of appetite
« on: March 07, 2011, 21:06 »
Got a Young Rhode Rock ( now 22 wks so i am told) that's been very low for the last week.  We have been to the vets last Thursday and she's been given antibiotics till next Thursday.  Vet did a crop swab and said there was quite a lot of bacteria - how much more that there should be I wouldn't know. 
I thought she was picking up a the weekend when she had free range of the garden with her mates, but was not so sure this evening when they were out again before going to bed.  Ive bought her in tonight hoping a night and day in the warm will help.  Shes quite bright eyed not mucky at the back , just stands around ruffled and not overly interested in anything put down too eat.  Anyone had similar experience or give me any tips.

helens-hens

Re: POL rhode rock loss of appetite
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 13:22 »
Hi JOP. I'm not very experienced but you need to try and keep her eating. Is she still drinking?

Have you tried her with pellet porridge (pellets & hot water) perhaps with with a few things she likes added e.g. sprinkling of corn or mealworms?

What were the initial symptoms that made you take her to the vet? Have you had her long?

Sorry for all the questions!
Helen

JOP

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 18:31 »
Hi ,
Yes she is still drinking. and eating bu so so little.  I have tried tempting her with all sorts. Layers Mash (but will try with pellets & hot water) Sweet corn .  She is picking up the odd bit of corn and will eat bread crumbs e - when I get home in the evening she is pecking as the grass , but then sits about whatching the other two mostly. 

She was fine the  Friday before last and then on the saturday she just was queit and subdude and just want to sit in the sunny green house.  I emailed the breeder (more supplier it turns out than breeder) and all she said was" take her to the vet."  so is was thursday last week I took her and apart from swapbbing her crop to find a lot of bacteria  couldn't find anything else. - he's given her antibiotics and said to carry on till this thursday.
I have only had her and a Light sussex for 5 weeks.  They haven't layed as yet as  only just 22 weeks.  She still so little comared to the L/s , who turning out to be strapping great thing.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated

JOp
?

?

Sorry for all the questions!

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 13:34 »
Hi Jop, is she any better today?

JOP

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 22:07 »
Hi Jop, is she any better today?

Yes, when I came home from work yesterday she was so much better.  Today she is a completly differnt bird.  Antibiotics were due to stop today, so we should see by tommorow if she's over whatever she had. THen all we will have to do it build her up and hope she starts producing

xx
Loss of appetite

Started by wardy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 23:18
by ANHBUC
xx
Loss of Appetite Suddenly

Started by Timbo47 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 09:42
by Aidy
xx
What are the differences between rhode island red and rhode island red bantam?

Started by salt and pepper on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 00:39
by hillfooter
xx
appetite

Started by pheobe1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 08:59
by pheobe1

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 36 queries.