I am so worried about Gracie

• 19 Replies

jinty1911

I am so worried about Gracie
« on: March 03, 2011, 17:58 »
She is not any better if anything I think her breathing is a little bit worse and feather cyst/tumour is a little bit bigger.  Still no runny nose or bubbly eyes.  Vet said it would be up to 4 days before we would see any improvement.  She is still running any time I go to back door and fighting for mealworms/corn.  They have had their meds for 2 nights now.  Do I wait to see if she picks up? I hate to think that she is suffering.  Could the thing on her back be a secondary tumour?  :(

Carla

• Experienced Member
Re: I am so worried about Gracie
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 18:11 »
With my limited time with my girls...I've found they let you know if they're suffering. If she's still tanking about, eating and in with the crowd, she probably isnt suffering. Its when she drops back from the group, fluffs up and closes her eyes...or 'long blinks' is when you know she's really not well. Give the medication a chance to work and if she's no better in a couple more days, take her back and see what the vet says. Try not to worry, she'll let you know if things are getting really bad. Tough old birds are chickens....think they must be reincarnated suffragettes :)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

jinty1911

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 18:22 »
Thanks for that Carla but she is only tanking about when the worms/corn or treats come out.  The rest of the time she mostly stands still  :(  :(

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 18:52 »
It's so hard when they're ill - I really feel for you.
ManicMum

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 18:54 »
Ahh, that doesnt sound so good then. When my Sue started to get ill, she stood still most of the time.  Saying that though, Jenny, my other ex-batt was proper wheezy for a few weeks and it just cleared up, so you never know with chickens. But you're doing everything you can..there's nothing else you can do except wait it out. I find if you just brace yourself for the worst, any thing else is a bonus. Fingers crossed for her...its awful when one of the girls are ill :( xx

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 19:20 »
Good luck for Gracie, Jinty, you are doing everything you can.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 19:46 »
Just gave them their antib's and the 2 other were a battle, Grace is so small and weak that I really dont know what to do now.  Could get her culled tonight .  :(  Don't think that she is going to make it through this.  :(  :(

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 20:06 »
Giver her a bit longer...I was ready to cull my prolapsed Flo last week and now she's back to laying and a happy little soul. Wait until the very last minute to do the deed, you never know what they're going to do. If she's worse tomorrow, then I'd say its game over, but you never know xx

jinty1911

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 20:31 »
Just went out and checked on her and breathing isn't as bad as when I brought her into the house for her medicine.  I did give her a bit more antib than I should have but don't think there's much to lose by doing that.  Have been reading some of the culling bits on here with tears streaming down my face.  If she has to go, think it's going to be a wee jag from the vet.   :(  :(

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 21:08 »
Being bought into the house is a bit stressy for them, as is being lifted off the floor, so she might have been having a bit of a panic. All 3 of my chooks sound wheezy when I pick them up, but I think it's just being gently squeezed makes them sound a bit stuffy. I'm in the same situation with Flo, she prolapsed last week and even though she's fixed for now, I know the end is going to be soon...and the thought of culling her myself is just hideous. I'll keep nursing her until she lets me know she's had enough and then I'll decide which route to take...but I think a vet is the only option for me too...I couldnt forgive myself if I did it wrong.
Just calm down a bit and let time take its course. I know things seem bleak,  but you just never know with chickens. Flo's been attacked by my dog twice, and now the prolapse...all this after being in a battery farm for 18 months...and she's still battling on, so you just dont know what tomorrow will bring...or the next day...!! You'll know over the next couple days what the correct course of action is. While she's still eating and drinking, she wants to live, so just see how it goes xx And a cyst wont kill her...may become uncomfortable if it get really big or runs the risk of infection, but it just being there won't cause her to die xx

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 21:32 »
Give her a bit longer Jinty. I had two of my birds come down with mycoplasma (and one of those got it twice). I let them carry on since although they weren't particularly active, they were still holding there own. There were times it crossed my mind but I thought whilst there's still a bit of fight left in them I'll leave them to it. Touch wood there both still here and as are the other birds who have inevitably got it just not as bad. Yours should be luckier than mine because you got the medication before it got to bad. Unfortunately with me I got it after the worse to prevent the others coming down with it. Give her a chance and she might hopefully pull through.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 17:00 »
Hi Jinty, just hoping no new is good news. You're in my thoughts, good luck, hugs
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 18:53 »
Oh Jinty, my heart goes out to you.  At least you know that you are doing your best for her.  we are all thinking of you and little Gracie.  Hugs to you both

jinty1911

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 19:03 »
Been at hospital for most of the day as 1 of my wee grand daughters had a seizure during the night so haven't seen much of the girls today. I think Gracie might be a tiny little bit brighter today.  Made them porrigde for their supper and she tanked in.  (I love the way they share their food).  I have 3 people that are capable of culling but it just seems so violent for such a wee bird.  :(.  Just going to bring them in for antib's. So will see how she is then.  Thanks for everyone's support  :D  

PaulineM

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 19:48 »

Thinking of you  :(
Hope Gracie and your grand-daughter get well soon  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

xx
Am worried about little Gracie

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 20:31
by jinty1911
xx
Gracie. What to do now????

2 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 12:55
by bantam novice
xx
Good and surprising news about Gracie!!!

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 22:01
by ManicMum
xx
Should I be worried???

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 16:16
by kazzii2010

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 36 queries.