glyphosphate.....when and how ??

• 34 Replies

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
Re: glyphosphate.....when and how ??
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 20:41 »
thanks for all the replies, i am only planning on using it the once just to get a helping hand on what really is a very badly overgrown area, you name it, its growing there all the nasty you can think of >:(.  i know chemicals are not everyone's cup of tea, but for me its time to admit defeat and take the easy option.
LISA X X X

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 21:03 »
It's certainly not admitting defeat so please don't think that.

It's exactly what I did on my new plot 2 years ago.  It is a good idea to my mind and can make the difference between getting off to a good start or giving up because you can't manage to get it under control.

fredhogg

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 21:23 »
Took my plot on October 10, parts of it were not to bad but 50% was dandelions, brambles, bind weed and couch grass, though i want to be as chemical free as possible, i had no compunction in spraying the nasties with Roundup. Its cleared 95% of the weeds just some dandelions have survived, but that was down to me spraying too late in the year. Thoroughly recommend, it will make your life a lot easier, and get you growing quicker. :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 21:24 »
I agree with Aunty.  Don't beat yourself up about using glyphosate.  I use it with extreme care and when all else has failed.  I also spray with Resolva24, but very, very sparingly and according to the instructions on the pack.

Horses for courses. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 06:53 »

A word to the wise unless you are a BASIS qualified & registered agronomist you need to be very careful in advising on the use of pesticides.

What's that in English please? We are but simple gardening folk.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 07:06 »
I agree with Aunty.  Don't beat yourself up about using glyphosate.  I use it with extreme care and when all else has failed.  I also spray with Resolva24, but very, very sparingly and according to the instructions on the pack.

Horses for courses. :)

Sorry to go wandering off topic  :blush: but...

Resolva24. If it's good enough for Ice then it's good enough for me (not only that DD's had a go with it too).

I have a 2mx3m patch where the compost heap stood long ago. Due to lack of time I'm going to use Resolva24 later in the Spring / early summer to help me reclaim the patch....following the instructions oh so very carefully.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 07:15 »
Due to illness last year, I didn't get on the plot until May, by which time the were one or two patches where tough perennials had taken over.

To give myself a fighting chance they had a dose of Resolva24. The nettles went black in under 24 hours, the docks strated to yellow in a couple of days. I just left them until I got around to them. They never came back.

nickmcmechan

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 07:23 »
I'm glad this thread was started as I'm soon to start using it.

I bought the sachets where you just add one sachet per bucket. Would the effects be better if I used 2 sachets per bucket?

Also, back to the original question, would it be wise to cover in case of rain (bear in mind I'm in Scotland and how likely this is, even if not forecast!!!)

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 07:26 »
Thanks for that DD.

The problem patch I have is one that I've been tackling on and off for a while by hand but it's got more determination than I have time. I want to bring it back into full use rather than plonking courgettes in and letting them fight their way through the ever persistent couch-grass that pokes up every year.

(Fantastic patch of soil... my Dad's compost heap for 30+ years!)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 23:04 by Learner »

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 07:27 »
I'm glad this thread was started as I'm soon to start using it.

I bought the sachets where you just add one sachet per bucket. Would the effects be better if I used 2 sachets per bucket?

Also, back to the original question, would it be wise to cover in case of rain (bear in mind I'm in Scotland and how likely this is, even if not forecast!!!)

Follow the instructions to be safe!  :blink:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 09:57 »
No, it will just cost more.

A second application, if the first doesn't kill everything, would be a better "money spend"

Dunno about that. The dry-period after application is critical for Glyphosate.  Some weedkillers need the plants to actively grow (to exhaust themselves), but I don't think that Glyphosate works like that.  If you were to cover for 24 hours I suspect that would be all right - but the plastic will then have Glyphosate on it so if you put it on something else its likely to kill it so be careful what you do with it, and how you store it.

Dominic

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 12:42 »
I've got some stuff to blast this weekend, so I'll keep you all updated on if and how quickly it dies.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 12:50 »
Before you do, have a look at the second post of page 1.

Dominic

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 13:46 »
mine appear to be activly growing, or at least activly going a brighter shade of green.
If it doesnt work, I'll whack them again.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 13:52 »
OK, it's your money you're pouring on the plot! Unless they are actively growing, it may kill the top growth, but not the root where your problem really is.

xx
Will Glyphosphate help me?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 21:07
by Judd
xx
glyphosphate on brambels

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2012, 12:07
by PAULW
xx
DIY dye for glyphosphate spraying.

Started by Little Flower on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2023, 17:17
by Candide

Page created in 0.542 seconds with 36 queries.