Finally conquered clay soil

• 17 Replies

sion01

Finally conquered clay soil
« on: March 01, 2011, 21:07 »
 :D I just had to share my delight of having fine crumbly soil for the first time.14 years ago it was hard clay that was like putty when wet and dried as hard as rock .If dug in tons of organic matter over the years and religiously stayed off it in wet weather but I think that what finally clinched it was covering it with plastic this winter which seems to have stopped the rain and snow compacting it(after giving the plot a good digging in the autumn).
I took the covers off two weeks ago and spread really well rotted compost on it and to my delight when I went to dig it after work this evening it just crumbled off the spade :D :D :D
So to anybody struggling with clay.DONT GIVE UP.Try covering what you can in winter with plastic,carpet etc etc it seems to have helped my soil a lot.I'm now going to celebrate with a glass or five of cider.Bye

nickson71

• My blog
Re: Finally conquered clay soil
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 21:21 »
enjoy the cider ... sound like you've earnt  it

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 21:33 »
14 years? Blimey, that's depressing, I've only been on my plot 1 year! I have clay and this year it's stickier than ever, I have covered various bits and they are still really wet underneath. I've heaped on lots of garden compost and manure and am just waiting for dry weather to dig it in. I'm dreaming of the day I go to dig and it's soft loamy soil!!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 21:45 »
Raked over a section which was flooded a few weeks ago; chooks then joined in. Plant onions tomorrow hopefully.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 21:48 »
Ek 14 years! Well done that is serious hard graft!  :D my new allotment is on clay and flint  :wacko:

st0ne5ish

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 22:32 »
Well done! I have recently got my plot and its weald clay, a mixture of orange / blue / grey clay with a good helping of flint stone chucked in for good measure  :ohmy: It gets water logged in some areas and I dug a section yesterday and there was loads of water about a spades depth down.

I spent winter adding what seemed like tons of well rotted manure but I doubt it has really touched the surface. Hopefully in a few years time it will be a lot better.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 06:01 »
I've had my plot for 4 years now and from day one have been digging in loads of compost and manure and it's slowly improving.  A couple of years ago I tried to level off a bit of ground with sharp sand to erect a greenhouse, then changed my mind and part of it was marked off as a bed instead.  It's the best of the plot when digging over so is the way to go for me from now on.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:47 »
That's the thing about clay soil. You are in for the long run with it. People don't want the hard labour or have the knowledge in many cases on allotments to stick with it for the long run. So with a mobile population often plots aren't cared for as they should be.

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:38 »
Well done.  My patch is clay and I've done the same as you.  Dug in loads of rotted maunre over the past few years but this year only did 1/2.  Then covered with tarp and am awaiting the results.  Hoping for the crumbly stuff you got  :D
The other 1/2  is for potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc., have spent the winter telling the kids to get off it and hope it won't be too bad.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 15:14 »
Only 3 years in on my clay; still not loose enough to use a spade or rake, but when i turn it with the fork it breaks into bits rather than staying as one lump, so i'm getting there.

Charlie

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 17:54 »
Well done!

My lottie is made from clay mixed with the type of paste that years ago you used to find at the back of the stationary cupboard where the 3.2" floppy disks now live.

Mind, at least its rich. The earthworm death toll in todays dig must have been in triple digits at least! Poor blighters.

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 18:35 »
Last year I lifted several slabs in my garden to make way for a new veg patch but the ground is just solid clay. Over the winter I've been digging in chicken manure and keeping it covered with plastic but its not made any difference at all so i'm very doubtful that i'll be able to grow any thing in it. My idea was to grow potatoes and french beans in it for a few years to try and break it up. How deep do I have to dig to be able to grow things like carrots and broccoli? Im not verry experienced and im thinking i may have taken a bit too much on.

sion01

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 19:09 »
Last year I lifted several slabs in my garden to make way for a new veg patch but the ground is just solid clay. Over the winter I've been digging in chicken manure and keeping it covered with plastic but its not made any difference at all so i'm very doubtful that i'll be able to grow any thing in it. My idea was to grow potatoes and french beans in it for a few years to try and break it up. How deep do I have to dig to be able to grow things like carrots and broccoli? Im not verry experienced and im thinking i may have taken a bit too much on.

It has to be quite deep for the normal long carrots but you could try the little round ones .There is one called 'atlas' that I tried last year in a bit of stony ground and although the crop is small compared to conventional carrots it was OK.Instead of planting potatoes for a couple of years and running the risk of disease build up you could plant jerusalem artichoke,you plant them just like potatoes in March and start to harvest in October

black diamond

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 19:26 »
13 years at mine and still hard as rock,so keep up the hard work .

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 19:28 »

By keeping it covered I think you have stopped the frost from breaking the clay up :( Leave it uncovered for a few weeks for the frost and rain to do their bit.
If you dig a spade (or a fork is sometimes easier) depth, you will be surprised that things will grow, maybe not carrots, but lots of other stuff is ok in clay :)

xx
help with very wet clay soil

Started by criostoirmac on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 19:20
by criostoirmac
xx
Clay soil

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 12:48
by Goosegirl
xx
Clay soil

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 21:44
by subaru
xx
hello & clay soil

Started by colonel mustard on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 22:35
by Kajazy

Page created in 0.621 seconds with 38 queries.