Complete Learner in need of help!

• 4 Replies

Zambezi

Complete Learner in need of help!
« on: March 01, 2011, 20:35 »
Hi,

I am really enthusiastic about getting an allotment site and god knows the amount of times I've had to contact the council and tell them there are plots disused!! With this in mind, Im hoping to have one within the next couple of months and with this I'm going to need to have a plan and hopefully some advice from experienced gardeners (as I've only kept a rosemary bush and basil before, I know I'm pretty ambitious). 

Could anyone please help as I really do have no idea where to start or even recommend some good beginner books I could buy as the ones I have look like they're for the more experienced gardener and I'm a complete beginner?!  :unsure:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Complete Learner in need of help!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 20:40 »
Welcome to the site and good luck in your lotty search  :)

Several things initially:

Browse this page from the main website (you can also access it by clicking on the Growing Help link underneath the top banner).  It contains lots of info including monthly guides, advice on clearing and planning an allotment.

I'd suggest you edit your forum profile (click your username) to show your general location as this is often relevant to answers to questions you may ask.

There are lots of books available.  The site owner John Harrison has published several, you can get them either online or via this site - click the link called Our Books.  They are written for the beginner in a really simple way.

If you do a search on the forum for books, you'll find some threads where people have posted their other favourite books too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 20:50 »
Hi Zambezi  (great name by the way, will remind me of Livingstone Island each time I see it)

You're not alone here in being a complete beginner.
It will take time but if you can plough through numerous thread subjects here and you will find answers to almost all issues you might feel worried about at this stage.

There are plenty of books out there that give basic month by month advice, and in fact books available to the members through this site.

Hopefully you will get your allotment soon and will have learned enough to set you off with confidence..

Edit

(My typings too slow, yorkies beaten me to it)  :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 20:51 by Ma and Pa Snip »
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 17:30 »
Hello Zambezi, Get yourself down to your local library,you will find loads of gardening books to give you plenty of ideas.  :)
people talk rubbish

Zambezi

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 19:26 »
Thanks for all of your encouragement  :D

I spoke to the council today and by the looks of things the officer went out this week, so hopefully he will get the ball rolling and I can start planning soon.

I'm in no hurry to plant things straight away, but it'll be nice to have a plot to start clearing and getting an idea where best it is to plant my veg.  I'm an outdoors person you see so I'm looking forward to getting started (chomping at the bit as people might say) ::)

xx
new to veg growing please help the learner

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2007, 21:44
by muntjac
xx
some questions for a learner

Started by Brad26 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 17:21
by barney rubble
xx
Learner still learning couple of questions

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 14:30
by stompy
xx
Complete Newby

Started by csarge38 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2009, 17:40
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.633 seconds with 28 queries.