Deposits for allotment

• 15 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Deposits for allotment
« on: March 01, 2011, 20:17 »
As most of you probably know I have just obtained my first allotment.  At the time the allotment warden mentioned that a £40 deposit would have to be paid but this would be returned as long as the allotment is returned in a reasonable state (free of weeds etc.)

Now i've been thinking (dangerous I know  ???), I can see the point in this but, the allotment is not in the above state to start with- it's full of weeds and has some plastics on it.  Do you think it is fair to ask for a deposit when the allotment is being let in the condition it is in? 

I'm not sure if the post makes sense but hopefully some of you will get what I am trying to say  ::)

By the way the plot costs £15 a year +£6 for a tap. 

Nige2Plots

Re: Deposits for allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 20:35 »
The only deposit members pay on our site is for the Key to the gates on first joining, £5.00
 If a member leaves and has left there plot with rubbish on it, THEN, we may charge a nominal fee to clear the plot ready for the next tennant.

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 20:36 »
IF after due consideration you feel strongly about it, In order to avoid a potential confrontation at a time when you are taking the plot over and risking them saying well if you don't want to pay the deposit there are others who will, I would be inclined to take pictures of the plot from every angle.

I would send copies to the site warden when paying the £40, or if you already have paid it send them anyway, with a polite note saying that this is a photographic record for his/her files of the allotment when you took responsibility for it on xxx date.

On the other hand, you are going to gain more than a disputed £40 in pleasure and benefit of crops.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 20:46 »
Our charge is £30 and it's part of the condition of taking the tenancy. 

If you were shown round the plot before being offered it then they know what its condition was when you took it on and don't need reminding. 

If you weren't then I'd take the photos but retain them.  You'll only hack the officer off unnecessarily if you start getting uppity at the start of your tenancy.  You'll only need them if there is a dispute at the end of the tenancy, and that's only likely to happen if your tenancy gets terminated because you haven't gardened it.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 20:47 »
On our site there is a £20 deposit for each 5 perch of plot. This is returned if the plot is handed over in good state. If the plot is handed over full of weeds etc, the deposit would be withheld.
I would assume then Nicki85, that the previous tenant didn't get their deposit back. Unfortunately it still means that you have to pay it  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 20:52 »
Thats it indeed, I don't want a confrontation or any ill feelings  ???  I just think it is a bit cheeky that they want me to clear the plot now and then pay for it if I leave it in a bad state (which is unlikley to happen).  But say if I became ill in the next six months and hadn't managed to clear it all, would I then be liable to lose my deposit?

I've already taken pictures so will email the warden saying that I am happy to pay the deposit as long as I am able to leave the allotment in the same state as I obtained it in.  I'll word it nicely, I know the warden thought it was steep to as it has only just been introduced due to a change in the committee.

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 21:04 »
 But say if I became ill in the next six months and hadn't managed to clear it all, would I then be liable to lose my deposit?

From outward appearences it would seem so, but only the terms of your agreement can tell you that, if you have one.

I was definitely not suggesting confrontation was the way, quite the opposite, I did say " If after due consideration".
The reason I suggested pics were sent now was because site management changes over years, as do committees, when you give the plot up there might not be anybody there who can remember, or knew, what the site looked like.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 21:14 »
Yes I have a tenancy agreement, got it today, which is what sparked my thoughts  :nowink:

It basically says that it needs to be returned in "good condition" which it isn't at the moment...  TBH it is not the money that concerns me more that it seems a tad overzealous.

I will pay the deposit and point out that the tenancy agreement could do with rewording to "condition let" or something like that  :tongue2:.

digalotty

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 21:34 »
i would gladly pay the £40 and lick that plot into shape,   is there a waiting list as it baffles me how get into disrepair in the first place
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 21:47 »
Oh yes don't get me wrong i am happy to pay the 40 quid for the plot as a deposit... Just the wording made me think  ::)

Yes there is a waiting list, albeit a short one. I waited just over six months so I have been incredibly lucky really ;) compared to others round the country. Apparently this plot was owned by an old chap who gave it up over winter. My guess is he just cultivated the bits round the wigwam but couldn't manage the whole area. 

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 21:57 »
We pay £40 per year (going up to £45 as from next year),for that we get a key for the gates,running water,toilet facilities and the use of a kettle for brewing up. For that we are (quite rightly),expected to keep our plots in good shape. In my honest opinion you have got a good deal and if you are going to look after your plot (I'm sure you will),there will be no problems for you. As for there being no weeds left on the plot should you leave...thats silly as we all get weeds on our plots no matter how much we try to keep them at bay.
people talk rubbish

mower man

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 22:20 »
I think that everyone should pay one years rent plus another years rent as a deposit

That way if you leave it full of rubbish you don't get your deposit back  but...
the next person to take on that plot would get it rent free for the first year
but they would have to pay for the deposit

Or the committee could keep the deposit and clear the plot for the next person
You may be only one person in the world,  but you may also be the world to one person.

crh75

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 12:38 »
Surely the point is to use the deposit to clear the plot ready for the new tenant if need be.  In this case it seems this is a new practise for the site so the old tenant would not have paid a deposit and therefore there is no deposit money to use.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 14:09 »
Surely the point is to use the deposit to clear the plot ready for the new tenant if need be. 
Indeed it is the point.
On my last site I had to pay a whole £13 deposit, the plot was a mess and after several years of hard work it was when I left pretty much clear of everything other than prime growing land, upon leaving I invited the council down to inspect it and ask for deposit back, to which I was told they had no record of any deposit being paid, I knew I had a record of it but over the years had probably thrown it, lesson learned as I now keep a folder with any correspondence in.
I think M+P snips idea is a good one to keep a record of the state when you took it on.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

fatbelly

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 18:42 »
I think the £40 charge is unreasonable given that your plot is in a bit of a mess.
Where has the £40 gone that was paid by the previous tenant?
What is the point of paying a £40 put right fee if the plots are not out right.
Where does the money go to if its not used to put things right?
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

xx
can't get an allotment :{

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 15:44
by hickorychickory
xx
A new allotment

Started by fjace5 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 22:23
by Nogger
xx
Which allotment shall I have

Started by jackiestagg on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 21:16
by jackiestagg
xx
First allotment

Started by davel149 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 21:46
by mrswashi

Page created in 0.587 seconds with 36 queries.