Plasma Cutter

• 8 Replies

Swing Swang

Plasma Cutter
« on: February 28, 2011, 19:06 »
Good evening all,

Does anybody have experience of a plasma cutter?

OH would like to cut a sheet of mild steel into a landscape silhouette as a piece of wall art.

Now these things look like the nearest I'm ever going to get to playing with a light-saber and before I hire one for the day I'd like to know if we're being totally insane. Are these things very dangerous? Are they difficult to use? Will a bit of practicing on some 1mm mild steel offcuts be sufficient to cut out reasonably intricate shapes (trees/pigs/human) with just one day's hire. I'm the sort of person who tends to do a lot of reading first, then just goes out and practices a new skill to a reference for a good 'text book' would also be useful.

Thanks in advance,

SS

pipfit

• Experienced Member
Re: Plasma Cutter
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 19:37 »
Not too difficult to use steady hand helps
Pipfit

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 20:16 »
Good evening all,

Does anybody have experience of a plasma cutter?

OH would like to cut a sheet of mild steel into a landscape silhouette as a piece of wall art.

Now these things look like the nearest I'm ever going to get to playing with a light-saber and before I hire one for the day I'd like to know if we're being totally insane. Are these things very dangerous? Are they difficult to use? Will a bit of practicing on some 1mm mild steel offcuts be sufficient to cut out reasonably intricate shapes (trees/pigs/human) with just one day's hire. I'm the sort of person who tends to do a lot of reading first, then just goes out and practices a new skill to a reference for a good 'text book' would also be useful.

Thanks in advance,

SS

Plasma cutters are easy enough, if the steel is only 1mm thick consider a jigsaw with metal cutting blade, then use a flap sanding disk on an angle grinder to deburr......and get a Tetanus jab :tongue2:

Goldfinger

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 20:16 »

We've got one at work, I think you'll need a 3 phase power supply (415 volts I think).
And a high volume of compressed air, or a bottle of neutral gas if you're going to use one at home.

If it's only 1mm sheet steel, I would suggest a 'nibbler' or jigsaw (with aproppriate blade(s))maybe better if you're just working from home.

I'm not sure if you can hire a plasma cutter though.  :blink:

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 20:22 »

We've got one at work, I think you'll need a 3 phase power supply (415 volts I think).
And a high volume of compressed air, or a bottle of neutral gas if you're going to use one at home.

If it's only 1mm sheet steel, I would suggest a 'nibbler' or jigsaw (with aproppriate blade(s))maybe better if you're just working from home.

You can hire them from HSS, 240V supply required and will cut through 10mm clean steel (ie: not rusted or chequer plate!), the cost is £72 for day one, then £24 per day after.......get yourself to B&Q and buy a pack of metal jigsaw blades for £5 :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 20:32 »
Have you had a look on youtube, some clever but expensive kit on there.

Swing Swang

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 18:02 »
@Half a plot man - never thought to use the jigsaw on steel - will give it a go on a bit of scrap - Ta - SS

Goldfinger

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 18:56 »

You can hire them from HSS, 240V supply required and will cut through 10mm clean steel (ie: not rusted or chequer plate!), the cost is £72 for day one, then £24 per day after.......get yourself to B&Q and buy a pack of metal jigsaw blades for £5 :lol:

I work in Plant Hire (Boys Toys size though  :D)     And never knew that

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 22:17 »
I have one on a 240v 16amp  supply. at 1mm it will work on a 13amp plug. you will also need a compressor. i am not artistic so i have not tried art work , they are easy to use and i am sure within a hour will be pleased with your results.
always have a target
and an objective.

xx
Brush Cutter

Started by Bryan and carol on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 18:18
by vikingraider
xx
Howard cutter bar

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 15:45
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Brush cutter , Any recommendations ?

Started by Boston digger on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post June 25, 2022, 15:54
by jezza
xx
Strimmer/Brush Cutter

Started by slow_worm on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 15:21
by Sheena

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 29 queries.