Have I forgotten anything??

• 8 Replies

Diggit

Have I forgotten anything??
« on: February 28, 2011, 17:18 »
Hi All,

I went to get the bulk of the stuff for the chooks today. I wrote a list before I went and I even picked up something extra whilst I was there but I had that weird feeling that I had forgotten something  ::) In the end I gave up and came home.  :unsure:

Drinker
Feeder
Trays for grit/treats
A bag of grit
A pot egg (just in case)
Purple Spray
Red Mite powder

I didn't get layers pellets as I they were a different make to the ones I've seen locally. I will get these next time I'm passing. I will also get some meal worms locally too. I want to make sure I have the essentials for now, extras I can add as and when.

So come on then - What have I forgotten?  :tongue2:
Paul

Pol

• Pauline
Re: Have I forgotten anything??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 18:15 »
Hi Paul, are you using shaving for the coop
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 18:37 »
Hi Paul
What about oyster shell?  Is your grit oyster shell and grit mixed?  I think the Ostrea or something like that is a mixture of the two so is useful.  I actually just scatter it on the ground and also put a small pile in strategic places.
By the way, your coup looks great.  When are you getting your hens?  Good luck - hope it all goes well for you.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Diggit

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 18:52 »
Hi Pol, thanks. That is a good reminder. I had a feeling it was something obvious that I'd missed. I was planning on shavings so I'll start a new list!  ;)

Carolbriar - Thank you for the complements. Much appreciated. The bag of grit is mixed. There's lots of shell in there too. I had planned to get the hens next weekend but a trip over-seas with work (2 weeks in Vietnam!) has delayed that a little. I'll lose 3 weekends in total so I am now aiming for the first week in April. This will give me chance to get the run completed.

Thanks again!

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 19:59 »
I would recommend : -

Flubenvet to treat them for internal parasites (worms).
Something for lice. Frontline for kittens is good (search the site for advice).
Hemcore for bedding and nesting boxes.
Mixed corn for a late afternoon treat.
Search your local area for a chicken friendly vet (hopefully you won't need one).
Most of all make sure you have a lot of time as you will spend soo much of it watching them,

Enjoy

PaulineM

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 20:03 »
Hi
Did you get a garden bench and a flask as I think you will be needing these as soon as your girls arrive.  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 20:35 »
I  forgot Diatom Earth to keep the Redmite at bay.
Oh and plenty of greens to make sure you get really good eggs i.e. cabbage, spinach, chard, lettuce etc. They love good green grass just as much.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 20:39 »
Have you read up on wing clipping ?

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 22:11 »
Hi
Did you get a garden bench and a flask as I think you will be needing these as soon as your girls arrive.  :D

I spent a lot of quality time on a kneeler (loads cheaper than a bench and can be planted on anything stable. Soft on bum and waterproof.) And a thick woolly jumper plus woolly mitts. It's cold out you know!  :D :D

I did that with my girls when they were new and once they'd settled they'd eat from my hands. Of course now they rip off the skin at the slightest hint of worms.... And don't forget, enjoy!

Pertelotte x

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 36 queries.