Noisy Hens ????

• 8 Replies

F1schuey

Noisy Hens ????
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:09 »
Ive had my girls for 2 weeks and they laid for the first time yesterday. This morning we had one egg.  I was just sitting in the lounge with a cuppa and heard my girlies shouting, they werent screaming as in FOX! but were loud enough for me to jump up and go and have a look and a chat.  I went into the run and sat down, one came for a stroke and all is ok.... in the 2 weeks Ive had them they havent  done this????? any ideas or were they just sounding off. Ive checked the food, water grit.... they have corn for a morning treat, loads of grass.... nothing out of the ordinary???
I have 1 Lovely Husband, 2 lovely children, Poppy the Jack Russell, Alvin the Hamster, Jemima & Florence, Ben & Jerry the Budgies and our gorgeous Chick Sylvia and Jess aka Terry :D

Casey76

Re: Noisy Hens ????
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:12 »
sometimes they just like tohave a shout - keeps up servants on our toes, don't-you-know!

F1schuey

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:18 »
LOL yes they do like alot of attention, I would have had chickens years ago if I had known they had such personalities :D

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 11:10 »
Mine a really vocal if they see a cat or dog, pheasant or just blackbirds in their run.  They do sound the alarm and I have to go running down the garden. Always investigate  :D

They can be noisy once they've laid an egg as well

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:37 »
Mine make a racket having laid an egg just to let everyone know how clever they are of course.  If they see a cat they do the same but our dogs don't bother them.  We get crows flying in occasionally and they definitely don't like them and tell everyone about it.  I thought geese were great for this, but it appears chickens are good at letting rip as well.

F1schuey

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:44 »
I think it was Jemima about 20mins before she went to lay her egg. I think she was telling Florence to go away because she kept following her.... and shes just laid a lovely warm egg :D 

Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of foods that chickens are allowed.... They had tit bits yesterday as a treat, but I want to make sure I give them only suitable things.

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:11 »
Apart from warning noises, they are pretty silent when off lay, however as soon as htey start to lay again they make a lot of noise laying and the Bantams just strop around the run yelling at nothing.

Could it have been a raptor overhead?

gladis

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 14:29 »
my hens just like making a lot of noise just after laying an egg and for attension as well :blush:

Beano

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 15:23 »
One or two of my hens make a noise before laying. There is a racket if the one and only nestbox they use is occupied. One talks to herself all day long. They start shouting at 7 am  expecting to be let out They go quiet around 1-3 in the afternoon when they all have a little siesta.
El.

xx
noisy hens

Started by prettychick on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 21:28
by bramford
xx
Noisy Hens

Started by Tessa on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 10:23
by Lost in France
xx
noisy hens

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post January 03, 2008, 15:54
by sue.hole
xx
Very noisy hens!

Started by min200 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 09:45
by helens-hens

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 37 queries.