Where to begin?

• 3 Replies

Jetsmaw

Where to begin?
« on: February 27, 2011, 16:02 »
I'm new to the forums and having a garden. Last year I did pot planting of veg and was IMO quite successful but this year i'd like to venture into the real dirt. It's probably important to say I'm in west Scotland outside Glasgow so you'll understand the weather is dodo and from what I gather, planting is generally a month later than down south due to lingering frosts etc.

I'm an impatient soul and while i have ordered some recommended books, I want to start NOW! Just the planning and knowing what to do. Once motivated it becomes a mild obsession :tongue2:

While books are great, they're no substitute for human experience. Sadly there is no one in real life who can help me with this... So please Internet allotment peeps, help me.

I'm thinking raised beds to keep the child and dog away (ha!) the area I have is slightly shaded thanks to neighbours monstrous trees and there's a greenhouse just above it which gets sun from 10am until sundown.

The whole neighbourhood is quite mossy so drainage may be an issue.

Last year I was successful with carrots, courgettes and tomatoes. I would like to add potatoes to my list and broccoli quite possibly garlic, although was unsuccessful last summer. I also love leeks and spring onions, would this be possible too? My partner wants aubergines too.

Can anyone offer advice or help me know where I should begin?

Thank you in advance :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Where to begin?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 16:36 »
I think raised beds won't keep the dog or child off unless they are very raised ... but there are threads on the Design & Construction forum about constructing them if you need to go down that route.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing_information.php is a useful index page on the main website.  It contains lots of articles, including monthly guides (you will need to delay timings by a couple of weeks or more as you are so far north, hence the suggestion in your Welcome post that you add your location to your forum profile).

There's also articles on there about planning and clearing your plot.

I'm not sure what specific advice you're after regarding what to grow.  If it worked last year, it should work this year. No reason why most of your suggested plants won't also work. 

Aubergines won't succeed unless you have a greenhouse in my view - and I don't know if you have a long enough growing season anyway.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 16:56 »
Wow, you're on the blocks and raring to go. Just watch you dont race off too soon and make a false start.

For obvious reasons it is difficult, if not nigh on impossible, for anyone not in your area to give sound specific advice.
I'm guessing that somewhere near you there will be some allotments, check with the local council where they are, might be worth a few visits just to chat to someone reasonably locally for basic ideas of how climate does actually affect your area, you might also get some ideas which can be adapted to suit garden growing.
Checked the library for gardening clubs in the area?

You mentioned 'raised beds' and the hope it will keep children & dogs off, pretty unlikely in the case of the latter if they are used to using the area. Unless its a small dog and very tall raised beds.  :D

We've never grown aubergines so no idea what their requirements are so saying nothing about those.

Providing you have the space I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem with the rest of your list.

Re your suspicion there may be a ground drainage issue locally, what do you intend filling the raised beds with soil wise ? At least you should be able to aid drainage through the beds.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 16:57 by Ma and Pa Snip »
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 16:59 »
I know well the feeling of wanting to get growing NOW but it's surprising how things always catch up when sown later on, although you don't think so at the time. Impatience is a recipe for failure IME. Success with carrots to me means a lump-free soil; also the moss means poor drainage but can help with water-retention for things like your courgettes and toms, but not everything will like it. I'd dig in grit and well-rotted manure, except where you grow carrots or parsnips - just spread it on top and move it away from your rows when you sow. Leeks and the onion family will love it. Stick some bamboo canes in the sides of your beds and tie on some netting to stop your dog from going on the beds, or make a flat frame from the same and lay it over where you've sown - it works for my four cats..! ;)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
How to begin?

Started by Nedski on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2014, 19:05
by mumofstig
xx
Where do I begin?

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 11:26
by chris23005
xx
New allotment - where do we begin?

Started by seayork2002 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:07
by Yorkie
xx
oh gosh, where do i begin!

Started by saffronkitten on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 14:00
by Elcie

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 36 queries.