Compost & Weeds

• 2 Replies
Compost & Weeds
« on: February 27, 2011, 13:13 »
lots of really helpful comments on bean trenches and of course compost.

We compost everything we can and are careful to separate out weeds but still find it difficult to eradicate weeds. I understand that its about temperature and unfortunately can't  put the compost heap anywhere else so that it gets more sun. Any helpful tips on this problem?

Edited to split new topic off and to clarify title - Yorkie
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 13:26 by Yorkie »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost & Weeds
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 14:00 »
Best to control what you put in your compost heap than hope that it will get hot enough to kill off weed seeds.

Roots of perennial weeds like couch grass and dandelions are an obvious no-no, and of course it's not a brilliant idea to compost weeds with seed-heads on either.

In addition to this some seeds which you might actually be intentionally growing in your veg patch happen to be very good at surviving the average composting process; squashes and tomatoes are two examples of plants which unfortunately "recycle" very easily!

I don't worry about it unduly; I just keep the hoe nice and sharp!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Compost & Weeds
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 18:34 »
having your compost heap in the sun, or not, should not make a difference (alhtough a black plastic Dalek bin will heat up in the sun).

The composting process itself will produce significant heat - but you have to get it right. You need a ready supply of material, and the right mix - and possibly some activator too (when I was a kid my mentor used to swear by QR ("Quick Result") which you can still get from the Original People, but I've no idea whether it actually makes a significant difference or not - she might just have been a brilliant composter - she was very fanatical about all things gardening!

xx
weeds in compost

Started by green bean on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:03
by fatbelly
xx
Weeds in compost?

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 13:36
by wil4025
xx
Weeds - Compost or Not?

Started by xpers on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 22:10
by Terrier
xx
Weeds in compost bin

Started by sanuka on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 18:56
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 37 queries.