moving chicken coop

• 5 Replies

audi

moving chicken coop
« on: February 26, 2011, 17:45 »
Is there anyway to treat the soil that would be harmless to the chickens so that I do not need to move the coop,as I cannot do it myself I have to enlist my family and I feel guilty causing them all the work, although they do not complain.  Would loads of stalosen f raked in work?

8doubles

Re: moving chicken coop
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 18:08 »
The trouble with chemical treatments for the soil is that the good bacteria get killed along with the bad ones . Better to dig it over now and again and get the family to move it every few months.
 A pair of wheels fixed to the coop may help. :)

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:39 »
Hi Audi
I have the same problem i have a open run around 12 foot long and triangle shaped back to the coop. my garden is not big enough to move the run etc so i turn the ground over every 3 months and use stalosen f .
Although this helps i have also added the following to stop mud and other undesirable things being taken in to the coop....  i got 4 decking lenghts of wood made a box under the coop and filled it with pea gravel now not to blow my own trumpet but the bedding is lasting alot longer , the girls have some where dry to stand on and the eggs are cleaner.
hope this helps
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

audi

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 13:18 »
Thank you oakdalebirds you sound like you have the same problems I have, although I have a large garden it is difficult to know where to move to next.  With the pea gravel how do you clean it? My coop has a built in run which is only small but does give them shelter it i would be impossible to dig in there  as I could not stand up so pea gravel sounds promising, they have a large open run as well.

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 13:56 »
Hi in reference to cleaning the gravel i hose it down and sprinke a little Disinfectant after , i only do this once a week and touch wood it works...... its easier if the gravel sits on some weed membrane.

audi

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 15:09 »
Thanks that sounds great and will solve my problems.  Did start to think as to whether I was going to have part with my chicks now feel very relieved that my little darlings can stay, mind you do not think I could have made the decision to part with them although thought abojavascript:replaceText('%20:)',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);ut it.

question
Moving the coop

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 09:49
by victoria_plum
xx
Moving the girls into coop soon

Started by uba on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 13:53
by joyfull
xx
Tips for red mite prevention - moving from Eglu to Wooden coop!

Started by Sootem on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 21:17
by joyfull
xx
How to repair the chicken area after moving?

Started by 22fox on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 07:41
by Evansent

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 36 queries.