Suggestions For Permanent Veg On Clay-Type Soil?

• 3 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Suggestions For Permanent Veg On Clay-Type Soil?
« on: February 24, 2011, 21:33 »
Just started to clear/turn over soil on the largest section of our ne allotment, it's about 20 x 40 ft, don't quote me though ;) certainly the biggest. Was wondering if it may be good to have a part for permanent veg, so would very much welcome any advice on most suitable permanent veg for a clay-type soil. common in these parts of Sussex. The plot is open to the sun, no trees or shade.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
Re: Suggestions For Permanent Veg On Clay-Type Soil?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 21:47 »
Whereabouts in Sussex? I'm in West Kent so probably have very similar soil to you. I think most veg benefits from some improvement to the soil if you have clay, by this I mean digging in some manure/compost before planting. I have found potatoes break the soil down well if you have some areas set aside, you could plant through plastic/weed control mulch fabric. Saying that I grew everything on the plot last year, legumes (beans etc), roots, squashes, potatoes, fruit bushes. All did pretty well for my first year on the plot. The only main problem I had was the very dry spring/early summer made it tough for the seedlings to get going as clay soil can form a crust when dry, making it hard for seeds to break through. That's why I'm trying to add as much compost this year as I can to keep the soil moist.

Good luck!

Christine

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:39 »
Even a permanent bed will need replenishing and help. From someone who has clay which would make bricks if left to itself, I would say that first you work with the soil and then set up a permanent bed.

If you can find and transport manure, use it. If you can find and transport straw, use it. Make as much compost as you can (make friends and beg stuff, remember that plain cardboard, clothes entirely of cotton or wool and scrunched up newspaper that isn't glossy are all good additions). Collect leaves and make leaf mould. Remember that pigeon droppings are good if you have anyone locally who races pigeons and that you can compost the bedding of vegetarian pets - rabbits, hamsters and similar.

Work on the area you want to make as a permanent bed with the products of your labours.

As Jonie says, beans and peas and roots do well. So do cabbages, sprouts, kale, broccoli and cauliflowers if you add lime to make sure that the soil is neutral.  So you have the option to grow stuff anyway whilst you do the soil thing.

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:49 »
I agree with Christine.
I'm in West Sussex on Wield clay and it is VERY heavy. Like stone in summer and sticks to your boots like glue in winter.

Over the last year (since we got the plot) we've been slowly digging and improving the soil. Ours really needed to be broken up a bit and allowed to free drain for most things to grow really well.
Where abouts in Sussex are you?

xx
hello & clay soil

Started by colonel mustard on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 22:35
by Kajazy
xx
Clay soil

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 12:48
by Goosegirl
xx
help with very wet clay soil

Started by criostoirmac on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 19:20
by criostoirmac
xx
Clay soil.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 22:50
by Ricey

Page created in 0.666 seconds with 36 queries.