Leggy onion seedlings

• 28 Replies

Azazello

• Experienced Member
Leggy onion seedlings
« on: February 22, 2011, 14:47 »
I planted some onion seeds a couple of weeks ago as I didn't want to use sets this year.

I think I left them in the house for a bit too long so they're mostly now about 3 ins tall.

Should I discard the leggy ones or can I move them on to some compost and harden them outside?

It's mild here (Surrey) at the moment.

Any tips or experience would be very gratefully received

EDIT - I just saw the guide to growing onions from seed here;

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/onion-shallot/grow-onion-seed.php

I suspect it may well be worth starting again.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 15:15 by Azazello »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Leggy onion seedlings
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 15:10 »
Not sure that Onions get leggy. The first spiky-"leaf" starts off bend double, like a crook, and then stands up like a blade of grass - at which time a little bulb starts to form at soil level, and then more leaves should come from the bottom - so you might be OK.

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 15:19 »
Not sure that Onions get leggy. The first spiky-"leaf" starts off bend double, like a crook, and then stands up like a blade of grass - at which time a little bulb starts to form at soil level, and then more leaves should come from the bottom - so you might be OK.

I was thinking that some of the seedlings were very tall and had maybe got a bit ahead of themselves - which according to John Harrison's guide might suggest a higher chance of bolting.

It doesn't seem like it's too late to start again.

Thanks for the reply.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 16:08 »
I was thinking that some of the seedlings were very tall and had maybe got a bit ahead of themselves - which according to John Harrison's guide might suggest a higher chance of bolting.

Good point :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 16:10 »
Good afternoon Azaz,  I think the nature of onion seedlings make them appear leggy when they are quite normal.   I suspect they are past the "crook stage"  this is when the seedlings emerge doubled up then straighten themselves out.  

If you can put them somewhere near a bright overhead light they may well thicken up because they will streaching up to the light right now .  Don't discard any plant.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 17:30 »
In case it helps here are mine (click the thumbnail for a larger image) - about 3 weeks old. Some have straightened up, some are still "crook" shaped. Some still have the seed coat attached.

They were germinated on a propagator, pricked out and then put in the unheated conservatory.
IMG_7922_OnionSeedlings.jpg

daisy1990

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 17:41 »
and mine look just the same, plenty of time for them to thicken yet!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 20:51 »

These are some of mine - most I think are fine but there are some which are very gangly.

I'll put them in my mini-greenhouse in the morning and see what happens. Some have barely germinated. 

I guess they won't all bolt!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 20:55 by Azazello »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 20:53 »
I am re-assured by the photos of other's onion plants.

There maybe a chance I get more than a jar of pickles out of mine this year!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 21:04 »
Me too!!!  :unsure:

The ones I transplanted into modules a couple of weeks ago before evicting into the greenhouse about a week ago are nice and green but doing nothing.

The "spares" which I didn't transplant are still on the kitchen windowsill, and are looking increasingly pale (and also doing nothing!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 21:19 »
I have never got to grips with onion plants, nor they with me. I've tried them, this could be their last chance. Why bother when I get big onions from sets?

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 21:24 »
I have never got to grips with onion plants, nor they with me. I've tried them, this could be their last chance. Why bother when I get big onions from sets?

I'm starting to think the same, still, nothing ventured...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 21:28 »
These are some of mine - most I think are fine but there are some which are very gangly.

I see it differently. You have some that are still bend-double, and some that have already straightened out. I reckon they are 100% fine :) "Carry on Captain Mannering" :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 21:30 »

Perservere. :)

I grew sets for decades ... last year was the first from seed, far better than anything I have grown from sets.

The only thing I did "special" was that I did not plant from modules as-is, but I ran my fingers through the root-ball to untangle them, and planted the roots straight-down in the planting hole. Other than that, just Water a bit like I did the Sets previously.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 21:36 »
I'll keep with it, but "Centurion" sets will take a lot of beating!

xx
Leggy tom seedlings

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 14:50
by DD.
xx
Leggy Seedlings

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2007, 16:53
by yummy
xx
leggy seedlings

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 20:23
by rookie1
xx
Leggy Seedlings

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 22:24
by DD.

Page created in 3.736 seconds with 38 queries.