Buying geranium plugs ?

• 32 Replies

mrs bouquet

Re: Buying geranium plugs ?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 13:38 »
I bought the same as you loam ranger. £9.99 for 100 + 60 free. They arrived yesterday and are now sitting pretty in 6 and a half seed trays. So 156 good plants plus 3 looking a little travel sick so potted on into paper-pots.

I ordered the ready to plant straight out, Balcony and upright geraniums, and blue and white salvias.
But what were your mystery 3 plants ?
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 22:33 »
I bought the same as you loam ranger. £9.99 for 100 + 60 free. They arrived yesterday and are now sitting pretty in 6 and a half seed trays. So 156 good plants plus 3 looking a little travel sick so potted on into paper-pots.

I ordered the ready to plant straight out, Balcony and upright geraniums, and blue and white salvias.
But what were your mystery 3 plants ?

Out of the 100 plus 60 "free" I potted on 156. 3 plants were a bit worse for wear so I stuck those in paper pots - they were, like the rest, geraniums. 1 seemed to be missing.. so 159 geraniums for just under £10. Pretty good.

Already they are more than double the original size and looking healthy. Enough for my parents front garden and some for me at home.  :happy:

Picture = 1 of 6 and a half trays just after pricking out.
Dads Greenhouse 2011 (4).jpg
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

tobytyke

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 04:59 »
Plus, if you order at jersey plants direct thru Quidco you get 10% cashback, an even better deal  :D

fisher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 07:45 »
those plugs look a good deal.  im wondering how much work/space it takes to bring them to flower?  we have a summer fair at school early july and im thinking we could sell geraniums in pots quite successfully then.  ive got somewhere to start them off but would i need to pot on a couple times or somethin?  any help appreciated :)

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 08:07 »
those plugs look a good deal.  im wondering how much work/space it takes to bring them to flower?  we have a summer fair at school early july and im thinking we could sell geraniums in pots quite successfully then.  ive got somewhere to start them off but would i need to pot on a couple times or somethin?  any help appreciated :)

When they arrive i just pot into some 6 cell trays, like you would buy them from the garden centre, then just let them grow into nice big plants, i like your idea of selling them at a summer fair :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 11:04 »

I've plonked mine into trays. 24 in a standard tray as the plug plants were very small. Buying pots of multi-cell trays would add to your costs so, perhaps, nearer the July fair you might pot them on into large paper-pots for sale. The plants would be fine for 3 weeks or so in paper-pots and could be sold individually at the fair with no additional costs other than compost.

Just a suggestion.  ;)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 15:41 »
As we have been speaking some have just arrived, The 'ready-to-plant-out' upright geraniums called 'red firecracker'.  They look very good and healthy, but are still very small. I don't think planting out yet is a very good plan.  :lol: :lol: :lol: Mrs Bouquet.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2011, 16:02 »
It does make you wonder about the size description though, doesn't it  :nowink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 16:43 »
As we have been speaking some have just arrived, The 'ready-to-plant-out' upright geraniums called 'red firecracker'.  They look very good and healthy, but are still very small. I don't think planting out yet is a very good plan.  :lol: :lol: :lol: Mrs Bouquet.

Who's going to be a busy Mrs B?  ;)  :)

maxyboo

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 22:09 »
Just received my 70 "garden ready" geraniums. They look healthy enough but are smaller than I expected. Wouldn't dare plant them out at this size. Still a good price though.

Paul Plots

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 22:11 »
Just received my 70 "garden ready" geraniums. They look healthy enough but are smaller than I expected. Wouldn't dare plant them out at this size. Still a good price though.

Pot them up... keep them warmish and not too wet... they will soon grow bigger. Mine are doing pretty well from the smallest size plugs.  ;)

maxyboo

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 08:48 »
Thanks Learner.I have some small pots ready but didn't receive them until 5pm yesterday so will have to repot today, after work. They are in an unheated greenhouse at the moment. Never bought plugs before so hope I don't kill them!

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 22:45 »
The Geranium plug plant deal from Jersey Plants is great, however I struggled to use them all last year and the year before that! This year I bought seeds from them; all 50 germinated in the living room and are now pricked out into modules where there is space. I am happy with a quantity I can handle and so far satisfied with the quality.

My first attempt at posting a picture, which should show a tray with Geraniums and Pansies
:)
Geraniums and Pansies.JPG
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 23:47 »
Well done you hightide... posted a photo successfully and the plants look great!  ;)

(No cheating like me.... I bought plug plants  ::))

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 23:00 »
The plug plants i bought are doing great :D
inside 2.jpg

xx
Lavender plugs

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2022, 20:05
by New shoot
clip
Any hope for these plugs?

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 21:34
by Maarten
xx
Potting on plugs

Started by brownp on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 19:29
by Yorkie
xx
Post-plugs

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2024, 09:11
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 37 queries.