Cleaning chick's feet

• 8 Replies

Helenaj

Cleaning chick's feet
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:23 »
Morning all. I've just discovered a problem I've never had before - there are tiny balls of dried poo forming on the feet of my 9 day old chicks. I've never experienced this before as I've always kept them on wood shavings and I'm always religious about poo picking etc. However, I've kept this batch of chicks on newspaper after the country store I usually buy my woodshavings from told me that under no circumstances should I keep chicks on shavings because they can eat them. Although I've never had a problem with that (or never noticed them eating any), I decided to err on the side of caution and put them on paper. Now I've got this problem.
How can I get this build up off without harming their feet - is soaking the feet in shallow warm water okay? I'll obviously hold the chick so it doesn't get wet and they'll be straight back onto woodshavings as soon as they are clean. Any other ideas if the water option isn't suitable?

Casey76

Re: Cleaning chick's feet
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 07:28 »
Hi Helen, usually a soak in some tepid water does the trick.  how old are they?  If they are a couple of weeks old, then I would risk a pair of nail clippers (being careful not to cut the toe), but if they are only a few days old, then soaking is usually fine.

This year I've been really impressed with keeping the chicks on kitchen roll (the cheap kind!) on top of aubouise for the first week.  No poo balls, no smelly feet in general, easy to change out etc - and of course can still be shredded and composted :)

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:17 »
Hi Casey76, They are only 9 days old (Ixworths) and I've never had this problem before in 10 batches of chicks (this is my eleventh!) and the only differing factor is the newspaper. The balls are rock hard and every chick has them, but not on all toes. I tried kitchen paper when I first had chicks but they shredded it and I was afraid they'd eat it, hence the swap to fine wood shavings. I'll try soaking them a little later and see how it goes - you read such horror stories about people pulling claws out when trying to remove poo balls, so I want to do it properly.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:49 »
When I hatched my chicks I kept them on kitchen paper for the first couple of days (better than newspaper as this is slippy and can be difficult for them to get a grip on and can cause splayed legs) then once they have got the hang of eating I used shavings and didn't have a problem. If they shred the kitchen paper a supply of old towels/tea towels might be the way to go. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

rachelr

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:05 »
I had the same problem so gently soaked them and used mynails to ease the pooh off them. It was rock hard and i was worried. One of the poor little mites nails bled so i got some savlon spray and sprayed it they have been fine since.

I hope this helped. Boy did they yell mind i never knew such tiny things could make such noise :blink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:10 »
Sometimes if you hold each toe, the little balls of poo will twist off, but do it gently, if not soaking like the others have said.

What I do with the chicks is put the shavings down, then if they are in a small brooder, put an old clean pillowcase or sheet if they are in a bigger brooder over the top of the shavings.  You still get poo, but after the first 2 days, once the chicks know where their food is, I take the sheet away and they have clean shavings which they still peck at, but I don't think I've ever lost a chick to overindulgence of shavings!  :D

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 09:34 »
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll soak their feet a little later today. I was afraid to try and twist it off because it's rock hard, so soaking seems the best option.
I've never had a problem with woodshavings - it's just the reaction I had from the store keeper when I mentioned chicks and woodshavings.

Thanks again everyone.

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 18:47 »
I've managed to get it all off. Soaked each foot in warm water and gently pulled it away. I tried to pull it off when dry and it would not budge. They all have lovely clean feet now!

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 08:40 »
For anyone else trying this it would be a good idea to put a small amount of salt in the water then if it does make the foot sore it should help

xx
Day Old Chick with wrong feet

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 08:26
by treacle
question
Copper Black Chick 5 toes and webbed feet

Started by splash101 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 11:59
by splash101
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 28 queries.