Anxious Chickens?

• 4 Replies

foghornleghorn

Anxious Chickens?
« on: February 21, 2011, 20:19 »
This topic may have been covered in previous posts but there's so many to look through I thought it worth starting a new thread.

Over the last month or so my 3 chickens had all gone through a moult, and 2 had begun to get back to laying eggs. Just over a week ago two black labradors broke into my garden. Fortunately the chickens were more fleet of foot than the dogs, and though 2 were dispersed to neighbours gardens they were all eventually accounted for. However, since this incident, their egg laying has stopped. Have any contributors had similar experiences with their chickens, and if so, can I expect egg production to resume?

PaulineM

Re: Anxious Chickens?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 21:59 »
Hi
Hopefully it will not take too long for them to settle again, make sure they aren't laying somewhere else tho as maybe they don't feel safe laying where they used to.
what breeds and age are they?
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 07:18 »
Hi there, certainly a shock like that can put a hen off lay!  I would just give them time, and they should be laying again soon... though as Pauline says, you should check your garden thoroughly in case they are "laying away"

foghornleghorn

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:24 »
Thanks for your encouraging comments. The hens are leghorns, though they're not  as 'leggy' as some leghorn types. They've a 'cuckoo colouring' to their taup feathers - and they look very healthy.

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39 »
I agree with what the others have put. Give them a little while it must have been a shock for them but once they feel happy again they will start to lay.

xx
Sneezing pullet and food question from a very anxious new hen owner!

Started by PollyPearl on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 12, 2011, 10:49
by PollyPearl
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 37 queries.