Garden centre allotments

• 37 Replies

jonewer

• Experienced Member
Re: Garden centre allotments
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 07:59 »
Here's a 'wild goose' idea...

I've been in and out of our Metro stations with work over the last few months and have noticed they have loads of land going to waste on or near their railways.

I reckon they'll probably want it for a carpark sooner or later, plus how do you know the soil hasnt been contaminated by diesel etc?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 08:04 »
I would probably pay for a garden centre allotment if there was such a thing near here, because I think of gardening as a hobby with added benefits. I used to keep horses....that is an expensive hobby!!!!!! :D Even the way I do it now costs a fair bit, all those containers need filling with compost, and we are on a water metre, pots and bins need replacing and though I can get away with not feeding much on the small plot at the back, I feed the pots and bins regularly. It would be much cheaper to buy my veg, but that's not the point is it? :happy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:35 »
I get a lot of pleasure just from the process of growing fruit and vegetables, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who believes I have also saved money over the course of the year compared with shop-bought produce.

Paying the sort of prices mentioned here just for the use of the land would make me start to think about what I grow and even possibly whether to carry on at all, which would be a great shame!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goldfinger

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 19:17 »
Here's a 'wild goose' idea...

I've been in and out of our Metro stations with work over the last few months and have noticed they have loads of land going to waste on or near their railways.

I reckon they'll probably want it for a carpark sooner or later, plus how do you know the soil hasnt been contaminated by diesel etc?

The land I've seen doesn't look as though it has been contaminated, some land is yard away from the track, but yes, some of the other land is next to the track.

But the way I see the trees and weeds are growing, makes you think everything must be fine underneath the scrub.  :blink:

As for being turned into car parks etc, some of the land seems too far away from some of the stations and, they are tucked away behind buildings / houses screaming out 'someone, please put me to use  :( !!' What a waste....  :tongue2:

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 10:30 »
I pay £14 a year, including water supply.  When i got my plot I put my name down in November and was on by February.

£10 a week is a huge rip off, especially if the use of toilets is the 'carrot' as we all know that's what compost heaps are for ;)
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 10:42 »
I think iot is a ripoff too. i'm desperate to have an allotment but not that desperate! One huge factor for us wanting an allotment is to save a bit of money on the cost of food (however small that amount might be).

harry

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 12:35 »
Had info from local garden centre (part of big group used to be Wyevale I think) about grow your own sites - i.e. allotments on their land use of loos, restaurant, shop etc 90 square metres each.  Was interested and thought of telling son who wants one until I saw the rent.  £5 per week.  £10 if you want a shed and greenhouse.  Rip off?  Band wagon? 
Thing is, if people think this is worth it and pay then it will push up costs of other allotments I would have thought.  Especially new sites.  I am lucky here - I pay £20 a year, but was paying £75 just down the road.
What do people think?

When you say £10.00 a week with shed and greenhouse do they supply them and put them up if so it doesn;t sound too bad. I have 150 sq mtrs for £24.00 a year but am not allowed to put a shed or greenhouse on it :blush: :ohmy:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 12:37 »
Think I could find other things to do with £520 a year!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 13:19 »
I think I would be tempted to pay the £5 a week, while I was waiting to move up the waiting lists for a council plot, hopefully it would only be for a couple of years.
Paul

harry

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 14:09 »
A pint of beers nearly £3.00 round here and who only has one ::)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 15:07 »
I think the rent is only the half of it ... too much temptation to "just pip next door to get some Fertilizer, More compost, Seeds with pretty packets ..." :(

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 18:02 »
The thing is I have had people say to me that mine is far too expensive at £85.00 a year and there is no way they would pay that, but they are more than happy to pay £60.00 for  one round of golf, or £30 - £50 pound for a night out on the drink.
I suppose it all comes down to what you feel is important in the end, for me its not all about making a saving on veg (I am single I'm never going to make a huge saving if any) its the actual process of the planting and growing of the food and the choices I have in what I grow that makes it worthwhile.

harry

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 18:50 »
The thing is I have had people say to me that mine is far too expensive at £85.00 a year and there is no way they would pay that, but they are more than happy to pay £60.00 for  one round of golf, or £30 - £50 pound for a night out on the drink.
I suppose it all comes down to what you feel is important in the end, for me its not all about making a saving on veg (I am single I'm never going to make a huge saving if any) its the actual process of the planting and growing of the food and the choices I have in what I grow that makes it worthwhile.

Yes I agree I'm not in it to save money its the pleasure of growing something :blush:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 22:12 »
So what price Yuppie plots then?

I'm thinking that all the soil Prep work and sowing & growing will be done for them, and all they have to do is rock up and pick what they want.

Then we can have Deluxe plots - which include a picking service - and Premier Pots which will also include a to-your-door-delivery service :)

Even Mr Tesco had to start with a barrow ... :D

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 22:19 »
thanks for writing my new business plan kristen :)

xx
good garden centre near Hay on Wye?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 19:13
by JohnB47
xx
The local garden centre says ...

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 18:24
by Quetzal
xx
hull garden centre potatoes

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 11:47
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Tebbs Garden Centre Auction

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2014, 10:24
by New shoot

Page created in 0.794 seconds with 39 queries.