I forgot to lock up my hens last night and paid the price :( Update pg 2

• 30 Replies

Casey76

My girls are a be tempremental, consqeuantly I don't usually go and lock them up until it is fully dark (at about 6:30pm at the moment).

Last night I got distracted, and completely forgot.  I was just off to bed when I heard a scuffle and a squawk, so I ran out as quick as I could find a pair of shoes.

I saw my Marans running around on the wrong side of the fence, but she wouldn't come any where near me; I then found my white chicken lying on the gorund.  She was still alive, but very shocked.  I brought her into the house, and saw that she had lot a lot of feathers from her neck, and had a couple of puncture wounds, so I sluiced them with peroxide, and put her in a cat carrier in the bathroom.

I then heard another squawking, so I ran back outside, and saw my marans on the wrong side of the water course, and I saw something slink off - it looked like a cat, so I think it was probably another beech marten.  So I ended up flat on my belly, one hand hanging onto the fence whilst trying to reach down a three foot drop for my chicken - in the middle of the road when it was chucking it down.  As soon as I got hold of her, she set up such a squawking, I actually had to hold her beak shut!

Anyway I got her into the house, and although she has lot a lot of feathers from her back, near her tail, the skin wasn't broken, and she is also in a(nother) cat carrier in the bathroom.

Of my third chicken there was no sign :(

So, it just goes to show... you must always, always lock up your chickens every night, becasue if you don't it just tempts fate.  This time (and this is the first time I haven't locked them up since they started to sleep in the coop - normally they were up a tree) fate came calling.

I checked on my two rescued hens this morning, and although the Marans looked perky enough, I don't think my white one will survive.  She was comfortable enough this morning, but very, very subdued.  There was no sign of infection, but I think the shock might have been too much.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 20:58 by Casey76 »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: I forgot to lock up my hens last night and paid the price :(
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:23 »
so sorry Casey, and yes it does just take that moments lapse of concentration. Hope the white one recovers with plenty of tlc and calmness xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:53 »
sorry to hear this Casey, hope your white hen recover
keep us posted
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:27 »
Fingers crossed Casey for your white hen.  If she made it through the night that's a good sign.  Have you managed to get her to eat or drink?

Rhiannon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:53 »
Oh dear i am sorry for you :(  Luckly here we dont get those , not even a squirrel , my friend has a small holding  couple of miles down the road and hers got wiped out in broard daylight by a Weasel i think it was?

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:50 »
Sorry to hear of your hen attack  :(  We're all routing for your girly and hope she pulls through. She may well recover once she's had a rest. Any chance of getting some antibiotic from the vet for her?

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:23 »
I am so sorry and i really hopt the white on pulls through. Forgeting to shut them in is a easy mistake we all get  distracted sometimes. don't be to hard on yourselve. You are doing a graet job.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 11:42 »
Casey, Im so sorry. Please dont be too hard on yourself, Its all too easy to get distracted. I have everything crossed your white girl pulls through. Thinking of you, i know all too well have heart breaking this is :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:04 »
fingers crossed she pulls through Casey!

Don't berate yourself too much, no one is perfect!  I forgot to lock the silkie's up one night as Brian spoiled my concentration.  Luckily they were fine, if a bit chilly!!

jinty1911

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 15:01 »
I am so sorry to hear about your attack and hope your chicken recovers.  We went out yesterday and didn't get back until very late.  I woke up at 4am and couldn't remember if I had locked the girls up.  I tossed and turned for about an hour and ended up creeping out the back door just to check and make sure.  Thank goodness I had.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 15:57 »
Sorry to hear about your hen Casey, fingers crossed for your other girls x

Junie

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 16:10 »
Sorry to hear about that - Hope your white one recovers OK. It is easily done to forget!

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 16:58 »
So so sorry to hear about this - hope they make a full recovery

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Casey76

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 17:47 »
Well... tentative good news!

My Marans is feeling much better - she even gave me an egg today!

The white hen is hanging in there :D She had shimmied round in the cat box to make herself comfortable.  First of all she took some water by syringe, then decided she was OK to drink by herself.  Her water has rescue remedy in it, as well as a general tonic, so I hope it will do some good.  However she cannot support her head quite yet.  I've had a good feel and can't feel anything dislocated or broken, so I hope it is just muscle damage/shock.

I really was expecting to come home to find her dead, so this is very good.  Now I just hope she makes it through the night!

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 17:50 »
So sorry to hear of your loss. Having lost 2 hens and my gorgeous boy Saturday night, I know just how you're feeling.   :(

We're still nursing a traumatised hen and a guinea fowl with a bite on its back, here's hoping neither of us suffer anymore losses.   :( :(

2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

xx
Do I need to lock chickens up at night?

Started by crh75 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 08:10
by CattinJ
xx
what do you think about my hens price?

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 23:08
by LivvyW
xx
Putting hens to bed at night?

Started by CatherineF on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 20:54
by jesschocolate28
xx
shutting hens in for the night

Started by SJB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 17:15
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 38 queries.