Help !!

• 11 Replies

kev1986

Help !!
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:13 »
my 2 hens have started making so much noise my house back on to farmland but i do have 2 houses either side of me and am worried it is going to cause problems with them any ideas on how to shut them up or can you reccomend any breed that are quite at at the minute i have a whit leg horn 14 moths old never missed a day laying since Christmas and a ex batt hen approb 2 years old just come out of moult , i have asked our neighbours if they are causing any probs but they said they cant hear it but it is so loud and i think thye are just being polite for now anyway

i dont realy want to do it but i would consider getting 2 -3 more hens that are quiter and get rid of the ones i have

thanks
shalona and kev

Jeanette

Re: Help !!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:47 »
If the neighbours are happy and they say they cant hear them then i would keep the ones you have got. All birds are different the same as all people are different and it would be awfull to get rid if the ones you have just to replace them with other birds that make just as much noise. It sounds as if you are quite rural and people realise that if they are in the country near farms then they are going to get country noise.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:50 »
all breeds can be noisy so getting rid of these just because they are quite vocal and replacing them with others may not solve your problem. Just give your neighbours the odd few eggs and all should be well.
Staffies are softer than you think.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:58 »
I had this concern last week and we live on a housing estate.  Luckily it only seemed to happen for a few days and all has now gone back to normal.  I think it was that egg laying seemed to coincide with their door opening so they got up and came out only to realise they still needed to lay and felt the need to announce it to the world! :)  As their laying time has moved round a bit the noise has stopped.  Hopefully this is all thats the matter with your girls too and peace will soon return.

As for the neighbours if they haven't complained i wouldn't worry yet, start to think of contingency plans if complaints start.

Good luck
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

uktitan

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 12:09 »
We had the same Problem, They Seem to get more Vocal when they are Bored, Or if they can hear you and think your coming to give them Treats.

Try giving them some more to do.

We bought a Fruit spike off the internet and have it dangling from the roof of the Run.. its about 20 inches from the floor, we put red or white cabbage on it, or 2 or 3 Apples, we have put all sorts on it. the chooks Love it, they spend ages pecking at it and it just swings around and around and they chase it, or wait for it to come back around to them, and then have another peck, its funny to see 6 or 7 of them in a circle waiting for it to swing their way so that they can have their turn hehe
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

kev1986

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 13:59 »
cheers for the advice all , i sat and watched them for a few hours and it seemed to be just the ex batt making all the noise >:( she has not layed since september and is getting on a bit so i decided enough was enough and she has now gone , and replaced her with a rhode rock 26 week old and has layed an egg in the first hour so now i will still have 2 hens no noise and 2 eggs a day so problem solved
again thanks
kev and shalona :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 14:52 »
ex batts are not supposed to lay - they are in retirement and any eggs are a bonus. When you adopt them you agree to giving them a home for life and not just whilst they are still laying. My oldies are just coming back into lay as the days are getting longer (except those that have laid lashes - they are just happy rosey away and eating).

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 20:53 »
a couple of mine used to make a real racket when they had just lais, would stand at the entrance of the house and announce it to the whole village. They have quietened down alot now.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 21:08 »
I think you will find hens do make noises and dispatching one, because the noise upsets and inconveniences you is really not the best answer. As Joyfull said, ex-batts aren't going to lay continually as they are in retirement.

If the noise is too much, why not buy some plastic hens so you can just look at them in your garden, you could even stick some eggs in there to pretend they have laid. Does that fit better into your lifestyle?
Alan

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 22:16 »
Going right back to your first post, if the neighbours say it's not a problem, why didn't you believe them and accept that they were happy with any noise they could hear? 

Many people like the sounds that animals make if if they cannot or choose not to keep any themselves.
ManicMum

Chrysalis

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 22:50 »
I agree with the others.  Neighbours generally like hens.  Ours come up to the run at the top of the garden just to listen and have a chat sometimes (to the hens, not to us!).  If it doesn't bother them, it shouldn't bother you.

kev1986

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 09:47 »
I think you will find hens do make noises and dispatching one, because the noise upsets and inconveniences you is really not the best answer. As Joyfull said, ex-batts aren't going to lay continually as they are in retirement.

If the noise is too much, why not buy some plastic hens so you can just look at them in your garden, you could even stick some eggs in there to pretend they have laid. Does that fit better into your lifestyle?

who said anything about dispatching the hen ? i have 2 chicken farm within 5 min of my house that have both batt and free range and she has now gone on one of the farms as a farm hen , and the hens are there to produce me and my family eggs .
 i am sorry if i have stepped on some people feet but i believe i am giving them the best possible life while they are with me and producing eggs but when they come of age i can not really see the point of spending money on feed etc for nothing , you ask a farmer if he would be feeding cattle if he was not going to get a return ,
i also keep asmall holding of pigs and if they were not to give any return would not waste the time and effort in raising them , again im sorry if i have upset people but im sure there is a lot of people out there that would agree with me
atb
kev and shalona

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 37 queries.