Fox attack, advice please

• 13 Replies

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
Fox attack, advice please
« on: February 19, 2011, 22:50 »
I'm absolutely devastated, a fox has killed 2 hens and my beautiful cockerel Leo.  The remaining 7 hens are traumatised, one in particular.  We've brought her into the house and plan to keep her in the warm for the night.  Should we try to give her water this evening, or leave it until the morning?  My ducks are also traumatised, they are in a separate pen but obviously witnessed the carnage.  It would appear that Leo put up quite a fight, he was a Jersey Giant so a big boy, so like him to protect his ladies. 

I feel so sick.  :(
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Fox attack, advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 22:54 »
so sorry to read this, please be carefull as the fox will be back again now it knows they are there. Keep the traumatised one inside tonight but it won't need any water.
Staffies are softer than you think.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 22:56 »
hope all goes well and well done leo lets hope he pecked where it hurts

Junie

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 23:08 »
I lost 5 in one fox attack the summer before last, we found the head Cockerels feathers a way from the others in the direction we think that the foxes went - We think he gave chase!  Ours were traumatised too, another cockerel took over and he lost 3 girls this year, all on different days.  It is horrible to hear them cry out for their friends, they will do it for a few days, hoping that they will return.  Mine now live behind wire as I could not stand seeing them so upset and we all got upset too, As joyfull said, they it/they will come back, I saw the fox about 2 metres from the run, figuring out how to get in!
I also lost my Cockerel because of the fox kills, he became so over protective of those that were left that he would not let me or my youngest near them and would run across the garden to attack us ( he was a big lad too ) he had to go in the pot!
I did not keep any separate, they seemed to all look after each other, but they did have extra treats for a few days - which seemed to help. 
I do hope they will all be OK.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 23:44 »
So sorry to hear this :(

It might be worth checking her out all over to make sure it is just mental trauma and not acutal damage if she was a lucky escapee!!

good luck to them all and hope the fox gets hit by a car tonight :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 00:19 »
 i lost two a couple of saturdays ago,they were my best layers it happenned after i let them out about 7am an unlike week days there is no one about at that time in the morning,so now they get a lay in at the weekend.Ive also taken my dogs to walking close to a bushy area where i know that the fox came out of,i do this morning,early evening and late at night.I have been promised a couple of fox traps by a friend,if he delivers,i will set the traps and hopefully catch the fox.It is my intention to shoot the fox.Letting them out in a humane manner does not work,a twelve bore behind the ear does.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 08:32 »
I am really sorry to hear your sad story, really sorry.  :(
Alan

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 09:18 »
Im so sorry. How are your ducks and other hens this morning?

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53 »
So sorry to hear about your loss :(
Good luck with the ones that are left
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Jeanette

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 11:38 »
I am so sorry. I lost 6 of mine to a fox three years ago and it takes time to get over it not only for the rest of your girls but for you as well.
Now i have my girls in a fox proof huge walk in run,  it is not the same to keep them in the run and not have the complete orchard to run around in but they are safe and that is what matters to me.

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 12:37 »
Thank you for all your comments and support.   ;)

The remaining chickens and the ducks are all fine.  A couple of the chickens have laid this morning as have the ducks so I'm reasonably confident they are all OK. 

Josephine, the traumatised hen, is still very much the same.  OH has given her water via a syringe and we're contemplating giving her some food.  She's been given a thorough check over, definitely no wounds.  We did wonder if her back or one of her legs was broken as she's not standing but she can move her legs and she has done a poo.  So we've ruled that out.  (OH was a nurse so knows what to look for)

One of the guinea fowl has a nasty bite on his back which we've cleaned and put wound powder on.  The other guinea fowl again is not showing any sign of injury however, she won't leave the coop. 

My lovely Leo and two of his ladies have had a viking funeral; he died fighting so deserves a hero's send off.   :(

My OH and I are both still quite traumatised ourselves.  We've spent the morning trying to fox proof the run a bit more; fingers crossed it at least makes it more difficult for the fox. 

I'm a huge animal lover and would never harm any animal however, my feelings towards foxes has changed dramatically overnight.....  >:(

Thanks again everyone,
Melody

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 13:14 »
I still have that feeling of dread everytime I open my back door (or curtains, Whichever is first) Its an horrible experience that I wouldnt wish on anyone.

So glad your remaining flock seems to be ok  :)

Thrift

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 14:57 »
Very sorry to hear this horrid, yet all too frequent tale.  :mad: Makes you really hate foxes!!

NormandyMary

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 18:24 »
Im so sorry, Ive only just picked up this thread. Im so so sorry too for your terrible loss. I know only too well what you are going through.
I know that this is going to sound very strange, but please give yourselves time for the shock to come out of your system. Each time my babies have been killed, Ive tried to put a brave face on it for the sake of my OH who lets his grief out! It only affects me later on, usually worse.
I hope that your most traumatised baby makes it, hopefully if it makes it through 48 hours it will be OK.

My thoughts are with you.

Mary.

xx
Dog attack... ;(

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 13:47
by ANHBUC
xx
Hen Attack

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 23:29
by Chicken star
xx
Fox Attack - HELP!

Started by chickenlittle80 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2016, 18:04
by Sassy
xx
omg fox attack

Started by ganner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 20:42
by RigsVilleBird

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 37 queries.