moving to France

• 2 Replies

hen maiden

moving to France
« on: February 19, 2011, 19:46 »
Has anyone had any experience of taking chickens from the UK to France ?

Casey76

Re: moving to France
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 20:37 »
From what I understand - and I have never done this myself - is that you will need a certificate of health from a vet in the Uk within a specific timeframe, and a vet to receive them and certify them in France.

So You will need a contact vet in France before you move them.

I have no idea how expensive or time consuming this would be though.

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Re: moving to France
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 14:49 »
Hello Hen Maiden,

We brought our hens to France. DEFRA gave us a real runaround and really are not the right authority as they only care about imports! Eventually, after our vet trying to get blood 3 times, I'd had enough and was almost as upset as the girls, so we contacted the French Embassy and eventually got a contact in Customs who advised us. As we moved over 5 years ago, things may have changed but we had to get a letter from our vet to say all were healthy, a declaration written by us re-how long we'd had them, where we were coming from and going to. They travelled in their henhouse from Yorkshire, on to St Malo on the ferry and then to our house in Brittany so quite a long trip for them! Fortunately we're not far from St Malo so, once off the boat, they were soon free again!

Your best bet is to contact the Embassy and get a contact in Customs as it is they who will stop you so they are best to advise! We didn't have to see a vet once we'd arrived and as it was during the bird flu scare, when we brought our birds over, you'd have thought things would be quite tight. We also brought some doves with us and had a similar procedure for them.

xx
Chickens in France

Started by Ariege on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 24, 2014, 20:53
by brookieme
xx
Anyone here from France, help with sourcing stuff

Started by Andee on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 07:42
by elibump
xx
A QUERY FOR THOSE LIVING IN FRANCE.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 12:59
by Jellyhead
xx
What chickens in Southern France

Started by brookieme on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 04, 2014, 05:17
by tosca100

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 37 queries.