How do I stop my duck laying in the pond!

• 6 Replies

Missie

How do I stop my duck laying in the pond!
« on: February 19, 2011, 18:49 »
I seem to have a problem with my runner duck-hermione, since I have had her I have only ever seen 3 lovely eggs,one of these was sitting in the edge of the pond under a foot of water,it appears she is laying them in the pond! :ohmy:

I have put bedding down in areas,even shelters,she had made a makeshift nest inbetween two young leylandii and sits in there,she has laid one egg in this nest,all the others must be in the pond,pity the do not float!

Does anyone Please have any ideas of getting her to lay in the same place each time?!

Missie

Re: How do I stop my duck laying in the pond!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 19:05 »
I seem to have a problem with my runner duck-hermione, since I have had her I have only ever seen 3 lovely eggs,one of these was sitting in the edge of the pond under a foot of water,it appears she is laying them in the pond! :ohmy:

I have put bedding down in areas,even shelters,she had made a makeshift nest inbetween two young leylandii and sits in there,she has laid one egg in this nest,all the others must be in the pond,pity the do not float!

Does anyone Please have any ideas of getting her to lay in the same place each time?!

Thank you Ice!!

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 19:52 »
do you keep your duck in at night, if so try to time release in a morning until after eggs laid. Our khaki campbell and Alysbury ducks if let out before about seven thirty will occasionally drop an egg when moving about and about 3 or 4 a year turn up in the pond (when we clean it out) but by far the most are in their beds when they are released. 100% found in beds if not released until about eight thirty.
R

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 21:15 »
And if that doesn't work; a cork! :tongue2:

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 09:00 »
Agree with RichardA.

If only ducks were as disciplined as hens! ::) ::) ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Missie

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:09 »
do you keep your duck in at night, if so try to time release in a morning until after eggs laid. Our khaki campbell and Alysbury ducks if let out before about seven thirty will occasionally drop an egg when moving about and about 3 or 4 a year turn up in the pond (when we clean it out) but by far the most are in their beds when they are released. 100% found in beds if not released until about eight thirty.
R
Unfortunately they stay on the pond at night,I have shelters and huts which they can go into but they still prefer the pond!Since I have had them I have only ever managed to pick one up-because he was in the corner of the bog garden,normally they just waddle in a "quick this way" manner,they have only actually been coming off of the pond since November,at least it is nice to see them walking around the paddock.I am sure time shall settle them down with a bit of luck!

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 15:34 »
I won't go into the endless problems I have had to ever get any of the eggs my ducks lay, but it involves crows magpies and swimming on ponds.  Anyway this year (though it hasn't worked as yet >:() I have made a pen, roofed with 2" wire mesh.  I feed the ducks at dusk and shut them in, then again in the morning, and let them out at midday.  So far no eggs, though there is lots of courtship behaviour.  I haven't actually seen any mating though, but I would have eggspected some laying by now.  I will keep you updated and if anyone has other suggestions I am open to ideas

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

xx
Duck pond nearly there

Started by slowef on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 22:33
by Foxy
question
How to manage a Duck Pond ?

Started by tomz1363 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 21:49
by tomz1363
xx
Planning a duck pond.....

Started by lisacj on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 14:42
by lisacj
xx
Duck pond ideas

Started by Debbieta on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 21:21
by Debbieta

Page created in 0.599 seconds with 36 queries.