Whats best?

• 9 Replies

bluelou

• Experienced Member
Whats best?
« on: February 18, 2011, 15:27 »
I am getting a new allotment this year and i am not whats best to do. The land is just a grass field that has never been used but has the grass cut, so in good condition. I am wanting to do a raised bed system, should i turn the grass up and mix top soil & manure in to it or set the beds up and put straw on top of the grass and build up from there?

Very new at this.

savbo

Re: Whats best?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 16:03 »
here's a good place to start
http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Clearing_a_New_Allotment.php
and try the search facility cos this question's been asked lots of times!

You're starting from grass at least rather than a weed-infested old plot - good luck!

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 16:05 »
Spray with Round Up when grass starts growing well, leave approx 3 wks and then dig over.
Mark out beds and add compost etc.
Dig out 3"to 4" from paths and put on beds.
Sounds simple but a lot of hard work so break it down to small area's and enjoy.
Good Luck

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 17:11 »
Be aware that wireworm is often a problem pest in areas of former grassland.  I can't remember off-hand if there is a chemical way of removing them (suspect not), but what is often recommended is that you grow a sacrifice crop of spuds - they love them and will eat into them.  Don't expect a pristine crop and you won't be disappointed!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 19:05 »
Thanks for the comments, i have a lot of planning to do.

Gizzy

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 19:19 »
If it's just grass, then its probably not necessary to use weedkiller. Mine was all grass when i took it on and just covered it with wet newpaper, wet cardboard and plastic and killed everything underneath that way.
If you're planning raised beds. you could use the no dig method and just bury all that grass under layers. It might not be any harm to turn the soil in the beds over first, even to just break it up a bit and let the birds eat any nasties.

This video is pretty great for no dig potatoes. q1OShZZUt0kHe makes it look SO easy!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 19:34 »
I agree if its just grass you probably don;t need weed killer.  One approach is to strip off the top inch or two of "turf", stack it face down in a heap, and cover so the grass at the edges can't see the light, and then you will have lovely "loam" at the end of the year.

Alternatively, if you are going to hand dig the plot then you could strip off the turf and bury it face down in the bottom of the trench / furrow as you dig.

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 19:38 »
Thats a easy way to grow potatoes. I like the hay way.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 19:43 »
P.S. If you are going to plough / rotavate the plot, rather than hand dig it, then I think weed killer first would be a good idea (but wait for Spring until the grass is growing otherwise the weed killer won't work very well)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 19:46 »
OK, I've re-read the question now.

For raised beds where the soil is OK you should dig the soil, construct the frame for the beds, and then build the beds up.

If you are on heavy soil you could dig the soil out from the paths between the beds - for 6" or 9" say - and put that on the beds. The lower paths will help drain the beds. I have "lazy raised beds" - I lowered the paths, put the soil on the beds, but I have no rigid frame surrounding the beds.

xx
Whats this?

Started by ldavison10 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 22:38
by Swing Swang
xx
Whats up

Started by taytors on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 20:10
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
WHATS NEXT

Started by KIM200 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 07, 2006, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
Whats going in yours

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 17:10
by strangerachael

Page created in 1.953 seconds with 37 queries.