Lunar Planting - my schedule

• 23 Replies

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
Lunar Planting - my schedule
« on: February 17, 2011, 17:42 »
Here is my schedule  for my root crop planting in accordance with the lunar cycle.

March 12th First earlies
March 19th Parsnips, turnips
March 26th Second earlies, beetroot, carrots and celeriac

I am giving it a whirl and will report findings in my diary.

Thanks to those in advance for your assistance, knowledge and support on what is an interesting topic for someone who up until this morning had never heard of it.

Am fascinated.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 17:46 by Aunt Sally »
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

Swing Swang

Re: Lunar Planting - my schedule
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 17:56 »
I'm sure that you'll find the whole thing entertaining, but even if you have disease-free, bumper crops of everything you plant on these days it won't actually prove that lunar planting is responsible (in just the same way as a 60-a-day 90 year old doesn't 'prove' that smoking does not harm). Would love to see the whole thing proved or debunked once and for all by proper scientific research methods.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 18:11 »
I'm sure that you'll find the whole thing entertaining, but even if you have disease-free, bumper crops of everything you plant on these days it won't actually prove that lunar planting is responsible (in just the same way as a 60-a-day 90 year old doesn't 'prove' that smoking does not harm). Would love to see the whole thing proved or debunked once and for all by proper scientific research methods.

Well I intend to try it and it appears I am not the only interested party. Neither were those from long ago who were closer to the earth and mother nature than we appear to be.
Entertainment for me it is not! But thanks for your concern.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 18:20 »
Thanks for sharing the dates! That's really helpful of you.

March 12th First earlies

I usually plant first earlies on the 17th March (traditional date for planting in Ireland. Though frosts seem more common here in the UK so I'll be sticking fleece over them)... so I'll definitely plant a few earlier on the 12th and see how they do.
The second earlies would fit in with that schedule too... its the same week i was planning so it won't mean altering my stride in any way, which is handy!  :D

Will give it a go! It can't hurt can it? :)
I shant be trying to compare it to anything or prove anything, I'm not a scientist. I'm just interested in trying it out.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 18:22 by TheSpartacat »

justviolet

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 18:24 »
Fascinating, I hadn't heard of this either.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 18:39 »

March 12th First earlies

I usually plant first earlies on the 17th March (traditional date for planting in Ireland. Though frosts seem more common here in the UK so I'll be sticking fleece over them)... so I'll definitely plant a few earlier on the 12th and see how they do.

Spartacat - it would seem that the dates I gave are the start dates of each constellation passing through the moon's cycle so you will be fine with the date of Ireland and they know their Taters!
Good luck and we can swap results in a few months time.
The second earlies would fit in with that schedule too... its the same week i was planning so it won't mean altering my stride in any way, which is handy!  :D

I shant be trying to compare it to anything or prove anything, I'm not a scientist. I'm just interested in trying it out.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 18:41 »
Fascinating, I hadn't heard of this either.

Nor I, until this morning Justviolet! Welcome to the thread and I hope if you follow the dates you get great taters!

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 18:53 »

March 12th First earlies

Spartacat - I think it was you who suggested a really good place for seed cell trays; Moles I think it may have been. Could you send me the URL please? Thanks in advance as I need them for my brassica seeds in time for their phase of lunar planting. Cheers!

The second earlies would fit in with that schedule too... its the same week i was planning so it won't mean altering my stride in any way, which is handy!  :D

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 19:00 by Yorkie »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 19:02 »
VVG - I have edited your most recent post so that your comments are clear.  You had written them inside the quoted text, so that they could not be seen and would have been overlooked.

In order to ensure your replies are evident, make sure you post after the "[/quote]", or they will just get lost. :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

TheSpartacat

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 19:04 »
I'm just reading a site about this topic, that suggests that fruiting plants are good to grow tomorrow on the full moon. I was going to sow chilli's this week, as i usually aim for mid feb... tomorrow it is then!  :happy:

Edit:
The website i got multicell trays from was here:
http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/Multi-Cell_Plant_Trays.html

Though I think the website you mean, who do them in massive numbers like moles do are here:
http://www.plantcell.co.uk/cell_packs.html

Or you could make paper pots to save money? I love using nifty ways of getting around costs- like using fine net curtains instead of enviromesh?    :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 19:26 by TheSpartacat »

suze

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 19:11 »
I have known about this for some years now but im always rushing around going to give it a go this year will keep you posted.. Here's some info...

http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_6183736_lunar-planting-guide.html

suze

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 19:16 »
A bit more in depth for those of you that are interested..
http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co.uk/Moon_Planting.asp

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 19:18 »
VVG - I have edited your most recent post so that your comments are clear.  You had written them inside the quoted text, so that they could not be seen and would have been overlooked.

In order to ensure your replies are evident, make sure you post after the "
", or they will just get lost. :)
[/quote]

Sorry Yorkie - I bow to your superior knowledge and thank you for your assistance! BTW I quoted you to some poor chap on here who needed advice on his carrot growing to avoid carrot fly. Told him you were very helpful to me. He was getting it in the neck a bit over wanting to use net curtain as V enviromesh, which not everybody can or wants to shell out on. I hope he contacted the Carrot God!

xxx :D

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 19:20 »
I have known about this for some years now but im always rushing around going to give it a go this year will keep you posted.. Here's some info...

http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_6183736_lunar-planting-guide.html

Cheers Suze - sounds fantastic. I found a great site too - will post separately and hope I offend nobody's sensibilities.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 19:22 »
Spartacat - it would seem that the dates I gave are the start dates of each constellation passing through the moon's cycle so you will be fine with the date of Ireland and they know their Taters!
Good luck and we can swap results in a few months time.
LOL we sure do know our Taters!  ;) :D

Growing up in my house, my Mum served Spag bol mince with potatoes instead of pasta!!! lol
Though I'm sure someone will keel over in horror over that, as it's not the done thing... don't knock it til ya tried it... with a bit of grated cheese on the spuds! More of a spuddy bolognaise...

xx
Planting Schedule

Started by Crezz on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post November 29, 2008, 15:50
by anti
xx
Lunar Planting

Started by nitiram on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 04, 2006, 20:39
by trapper
xx
lunar planting

Started by CHRIS THE VEG on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post April 23, 2007, 12:55
by ytyynycefn
xx
Lunar Planting anyone?

Started by john9159 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 18:43
by DD.

Page created in 0.839 seconds with 38 queries.