Swiss chard

• 68 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Swiss chard
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:04 »
I wouldn't mind trying to grow swiss chard but before I decide to or not I need to know if caterpillars and butterflies are attracted to it. I cannot grow many brassicas at a time here as they get decimated if i do. Does chard need covering so they don't get eaten?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Swiss chard
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:09 »
I'm trying it for the first time this year. I understand its very similar to spinach which I've grown for years. Have you grown spinach JaK? :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:11 »
Swiss chard is not a member of the brassica family so it doesn't suffer from attacks by the cabbage white butterfly.

I have found that mine tends to get leaf miner at certain times of the year, and of course there is always a danger from wood pigeons, although I don't think it's one of their favourites!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:19 »
I grow Swiss chard every year and have never had problems with it. I let it grow out in the open. even the pigeons leave it alone...however I do cover it with fleece or chicken wire cloche in it's early stages. its such a great "value for money" crop as it is a cut and come again vegetable. It lasts all summer and right into winter too. A harsh winter will kill it though. I always sow a fresh lot every spring.

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:21 »
I'm trying it for the first time this year. I understand its very similar to spinach which I've grown for years. Have you grown spinach JaK? :)
No I havn't.
My children spotted the rainbow chard in the seed catalouges and want to grow it. Thought we could grow a few tubs of it (old recycling boxes), I like to be able to say yes when the children want to try something new but was worried they might be a brassica. Thankyou JayG for putting me straight. We may as well give chard a go this year.  :)

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:26 »
Most pests left mine alone.

It was one of the few things that wasn't decimated by birds, slugs or caterpillars. As JayG I had a little leaf miner damage but nothing worth worrying about.

I put 12 plants in a 4x4' block and it was more than enough to keep me supplied all season.

prakash_mib

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 09:29 »
It looks a fantastic coloured veg. (in pictures... of course)
I am growing it first time this year for my front patio garden.
can somebody please tell me how it can be sown? (am not hijacking  :))
I have a problem sowing directly for the fear of cats (the patio garden is covered now)
thinking of sowing in tubs/cups/plugs anything indoors/ greenhouse and transplanting during later stages. Will it work?
and what is the best time to sow?  :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:31 by prakash_mib »
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:31 »
I cover mine (and the Brassicas) with scaffolders Debris Netting.  I've not had a problem with Ruby Chard, but the white stemmed and some of the multi-coloured stemmed, was decimated by something - Pigeons I would think (plot netted against rabbits etc, the Ruby alongside was left alone) - so since then I've decided that netting is better than potentially losing the crop!

can somebody please tell me how it can be sown? (am not hijacking  :))
I have a problem sowing directly for the fear of cats (the patio garden is covered now)
thinking of sowing in tubs/cups/plugs anything indoors/ greenhouse and transplanting during later stages. Will it work?

I start of pretty much all my veg in seed trays / small pots, and I've not had a problem with planting out Chard as a small plant. We also grow some in the greenhouse border - planted in the Autumn, to provide an early Spring crop. We do put a lot of plants in the greenhouse - as it doesn't grow all that quickly in the Winter, so recovery rate is slower than the outdoor crop.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 09:32 »
I started mine in modules - 12 to a 1/2 tray, 1 seed per cell and remove the weaker seedlings. Plant out when you can, they seemed to hold well in the cells, I put mine in after the first early spuds came up.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 09:34 »
1 seed per cell and remove the weaker seedlings.

Typo?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

prakash_mib

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 09:38 »

Typo?
its a cluster seed DD. (like beetroot)  :)

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 09:39 »
I sowed 3 varieties into 1/2" deep seed compost on rock hard earth as I dont dig any soil, I had a good crop through the summer and autumn, most of it was decimated during December with ice and snow but I picked a bunch yesterday of new shoots.  

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:46 »

Typo?
its a cluster seed DD. (like beetroot)  :)

Ah!

I'm trying it for the first time this year, (after seeing it at Heligan), & I've not opened the packet yet!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 09:49 »
Did you buy the silver one, or pretty coloured one?

IMO the silver chards make a much stronger plant and have just started resprouting :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 09:53 »
Bought the Ruby Chard from Heligan (that's all they had), and then the Bright Lights after we got home as Mrs Digger wanted "pretty".

xx
Swiss Chard

Started by NormandyMary on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 21:56
by Stripey_cat
wireless
swiss chard

Started by jimbo1878 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 12:23
by TerryB
xx
Swiss chard

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post June 24, 2007, 18:35
by Bernard
xx
Swiss chard

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2012, 17:18
by The Golden Heap

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 39 queries.