Hello and help please!

• 21 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Hello and help please!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 02:17 »
If I can dig out my camera I'll take some piccies of my raised beds for you, though at this time of year they're empty apart from a few remaining carrots, the strawberry bed, and this year's emerging garlic. But they're just 6" beds with a bit of decking round them, they look quite nice and they're extremely productive. There isn't much you can't grow in a growbag, and growbags aren't as deep as 6". Really, the only things i don't stick in these beds are big carrots, parsnips and potatoes, which go in deeper beds, plus the fruit trees and bushes.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 07:39 »
The other things that factories have are "pallet  collars" they are planks of wood joined at the corner to make a square, and can be stacked if supported.  I have used them as raised beds before... a few phone calls may do the trick......

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 07:44 »
Another thing you need to bear in mind is the watering.  The more shallow the bed, the more quickly it will dry out.  Growbags can need watering twice a day in a decent summer; deeper beds and mulch will reduce this need.  Is there a water supply at the tennis courts?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 14:38 »
I was think of a bed 2'6" high.

You can always increase the depth of the beds as funds and materials become available. I've done this to the beds I grow my carrots in.

Also if you are going to have people looking for reasons to complain, plaint the outside of all the beds using a dark brown fence paint.

hamstergbert

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 15:11 »
A really handy way of growing quite a variety of vegetables etc is using the black plastic 'flower' tubs (in which supermarkets receive their cut flowers and which most of the said supermarkets either give away or sell at a few coppers each).  

These are around 10" or so high, and once pierced in the bottom (ooh, matron) with a hot screwdriver or similar for drainage can be used to grow loads of things (although not all that good for brassicas or roots needing an especially deep space).

Certainly excellent for salad leaves, carrots, runners and peas, courgettes (with a load of watering!), potatoes, leeks, outdoor toms and peppers, herbs....

Now, you can sit these into 'islands of sevens (six in a circle, touching, with one in the middle) and create wooden walls around them c 16" high.  An inch or two of coarse gravel in the bottom, stand the pots in, infill with (non-salty) sand and a thin layer on top of shredded bark mulch if you must.  They look good - and with careful succession planning you can start stuff off elsewhere and swap out the pots when the previous ones are going  over.

You are not limited to the hexagonal arrangement - can combine two of those clusters and fill in a long 'bed' in between, with smaller pots slotting between the edges and the pots in the 'half pot' gap areas.  NB.  If you fill these smaller pots with long flowering period plants such as french marigolds and trailing lobelia etc they really brighten up the area beautifully!

Thorough, consistent and regular watering though is key!

As suggested elsewhere, a coat of dark paint on the outsides finishes them off nicely.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 15:13 by hamstergbert »
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

caz739

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 15:55 »
actually we had in mind the link-a-bord system, but putting them 2 high
need somewhere to grow something - that's all I ask!

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 18:06 »
actually we had in mind the link-a-bord system, but putting them 2 high

Three words for you:

Ex Pen Sive xx

Page created in 0.694 seconds with 36 queries.