Prolapse ex-batt...what can I do???

• 20 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Prolapse ex-batt...what can I do???
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 21:11 »
I've just read your thread Carla and I must say that without knowing the current status I immediately thought after reading your first post this bird needs to be despatched.  Rarely do prolapses heal well so I was surprised to say the least to read that she's still surviving and doing well.  All down to some persistent and caring nursing well done. 

However I have to say that a cure is very much the exception not the rule and when this happens to an old bird you need to be fully prepared to put it down if things don't look promising.  In this case it looks like your persistence may pay off hopefully.

HF
Truth through science.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 21:24 »
HF...I'm expecting to go out every morning to find her back to square one...I'm amazed it hasn't happened already. I think, because I'm helping her every morning, it's taking the 'strain' off...excuse the punn!! I'm now applying olive oil around and inside her vent a few times a day to help anything that needs to come out and spraying with antibacterial wound wash and purple spray. She spent ages trying to lay earlier, so I sat her in warm water again, applied olive oil and she went straight back into the coop and laid within minutes. I rushed out, scooped her up to check and it was all neat and tidy. Soooo chuffed.  I'm just in a lucky position that I'm off work with my baby so can dedicate my time to helping Flo and keeping her going. She's taken all the treatment in her stride, she shook and made tiny whiny noises when I had to ease the prolapse back in, and I was sure she'd go into shock with the pain, but nope..she's a tough old bird..she's one of the ones that my dog had a few months ago. She even starts dropping off when having her morning bath :) :)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 22:02 »
HF...I'm expecting to go out every morning to find her back to square one...I'm amazed it hasn't happened already. I think, because I'm helping her every morning, it's taking the 'strain' off...excuse the punn!! I'm now applying olive oil around and inside her vent a few times a day to help anything that needs to come out and spraying with antibacterial wound wash and purple spray. She spent ages trying to lay earlier, so I sat her in warm water again, applied olive oil and she went straight back into the coop and laid within minutes. I rushed out, scooped her up to check and it was all neat and tidy. Soooo chuffed.  I'm just in a lucky position that I'm off work with my baby so can dedicate my time to helping Flo and keeping her going. She's taken all the treatment in her stride, she shook and made tiny whiny noises when I had to ease the prolapse back in, and I was sure she'd go into shock with the pain, but nope..she's a tough old bird..she's one of the ones that my dog had a few months ago. She even starts dropping off when having her morning bath :) :)

The usual cream recommended for prolapses is Haemorrhoid cream (piles treatment) which should help sooth and shrink the swelling.  Preparation H is a popular brand you can try.  The chemist might look a bit askance at you though when you ask for it, :lol:

HF

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 22:30 »
I've been using Germaloids on her since it happened, which is a pile cream, but has an anesthetic in it too...my mate went and fetched it from Morrisons so I havent had to suffer the embarrassment :)  Think I'll go to Tescos and use the self scanners when I need some more :/ I'll give the chemist with the nice looking pharmacist up the road a wide berth!!  I'd get carted off if I said it was for my chicken :) :) :)

Jeanette

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 11:15 »
I am so pleased and well done for all the nursing that you have given her.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 15:22 »
Carla it is truely heartwarming to read how much care you are giving Flo.  What a lucky ex-bat. She certainly fell on her feet when you decided to give her a second chance at life. 

Life in one of those horrendous cages to morning spa treatments in the bath - what a lucky girl  :)  :)  :)

xx
Ex Batt help

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 09:53
by Flowerpower136
xx
Ex-batt's

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 17:19
by JACDORE
xx
EX Batt not well

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:08
by Aidy
xx
Ex-batt egg mystery

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 13, 2009, 09:01
by Foxy

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 29 queries.