Growing Melons

• 10 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Growing Melons
« on: February 16, 2011, 14:53 »
Hi

I'm going to have a go at growing melons this year and I'm not sure where to start.  Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Growing Melons
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 15:54 »
Sow seed somewhere warm (18-21C - airing cupboard, or propagator, or in a pot covered with clear plastic bag on a warm windowsill) - I start mine off first week of March but check the instructions on the seed packet

Prick out to individual 3" pots, and grow on at 13C-18C and ensure that the minimum temperature does not fall below 10C (at which point they will "stall" and take ages to get going again)

As the rootball fills the pot then pot-on to a pot that is 1" - 2" larger in diameter.

I keep mine in an unheated conservatory (which is much warmer than my unheated greenhouse, and as it is attached to the house so if it is likely that the temperature will fall below 10C I can bring easily them in for the night ... the conservatory has good light like a greenhouse, and much better than a windowsill).

Around mid-May I plant them out in the unheated greenhouse. They can be in grow bags, pots, or the greenhouse border (which is what I do).

Train up a cane (I have mine right next to the glass) to to about 5' and then pinch out the main tip to encourage side shoots. I train the laterals to horizontal wires I have permanently attached to the sides of the greenhouse. Pinch out each lateral after the fifth leaf.

You then need to hand pollinate the flowers.  I just break off a male flower and insert it into the female flower. (The female has a baby fruit behind the flower, the male flower just has a very skinny stalk).

Feed with the same fertiliser as you use for your Tomatoes (e.g. a proprietary Tomato fertiliser)

I recommend the Sweatheart variety for a beginner. They tend to produce fruits even if you don't have time to do the training, and the fruits are a decent size so if you only get a few they will still feed a several people ... whereas most of the more poncy Charantais and Cataloupe types that I have grown very rarely produce 4 fruits per plant and they produce smaller fruits.

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 16:36 »
Hi Kristen

Thanks for that.

Beth

massa

• Experienced Member
melons
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 20:59 »
hi, i am wanting to have a go at growing melons this year and wanted to know if anyone has had success up north! we grew some at school (im a teacher) in the poly tunnel on the school allotment but i dont know what variety they were. I want to grow them in the green house but not sure what variety to try, what have you tried and did it work?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 21:06 by DD. »

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: melons
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 21:34 »
Hi Massa, I hope someone can give you some tips!  I've tried growing melons a couple of times, but they always drop off before getting properly ripe. 

andy135

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 23:11 »
I'm giving them a go this year for the first time. As Kristen say's sweetheart are supposedly the easiest for first timers.

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 17:52 »
Just double checked my packet of seeds and it says 'Melons' then in brackets Melone Rugoso di Cosenza Giallo. What do you think? shall I go and buy some sweethearts?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 06:25 »
How about you grow a couple of each?

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 14:03 »
Great info here. I have got some marshalls seeds called Outdoor Wonder. 

I won't grow them outdoors because I'll be wondering what's going on so I shall try the u/h greenhouse.  3 fruits per plant is ok for starters.

Sweetheart next time if they work.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 17:37 »
Sweetheart next time if they work.
I would say "Sweetheart next time if they don't work." :) If you like the Marshalls ones I should stick with them next year too

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 20:42 »
I am growing Prescott Fond Blanc  this is a rock melon from the real seeds website
This is a unique French variety from the early 1800s. It is a most colourful melon, with a gently ribbed surface and beautifully variegated and marbled skin.

It has been well maintained over the years and is still 'exceedingly fine flavoured and melting', with an exquisite fragrance.

Like all rock melons, it does not come off the vine when ripe,
but you can tell when it's ready by the sweet scent, from a distance of several feet!

no other reason than it sounded nice :)

xx
Growing Melons in the UK

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 31, 2019, 14:29
by al78
xx
Growing Melons

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2007, 18:38
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Growing water melons

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2016, 09:48
by jaydig
xx
A few questions about growing melons

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 09:26
by milkman

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 47 queries.