What would you do?

• 6 Replies

Nickchick

What would you do?
« on: February 16, 2011, 13:14 »
I have 1 ex-batt left out of my original 3.  I will have had her 2 years in April. 

I want to make the right decision for the sake of my 1 remaining chuck.

She is alone and is in a run 3 x 4 meters.  We let her out in the garden when we are there which she loves.

She no longer lays but when she did she got into the bad habbit of eating her eggs :mad:

Do I get a couple of companions for her that will hopefully lay eggs but which she may eat and pass on her bad habbit?

What are my options? - I just want Betty to be happy ::)

compostqueen

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 14:28 »
I would get her two companions straight away as it's not fair for her to be alone.  You'll be happier too knowing that she's not lonely

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 14:58 »
I would get her a couple of friends, as for the egg eating was she laying softies or were they hard shelled? If they were soft then most of the time they don't put two and two together to eat the other eggs, if they were hard shelled then there are things to try like chilli powder in an egg that should help to stop it.  Good luck

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 15:31 »
I remember Nickchick trying the chilli and mustard filled eggs - her chickens loved them, so the only way round this is to make or buy a rollaway nest box.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Nickchick

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 16:17 »
My only problem with the roll away nest boxes is that Betty sleeps in the nest box  and has done so for the past 2 years!  How can I get round that problem?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 16:32 »
but the eggs will roll away as soon as they are laid so her sleeping in there will not prove a problem  :)
This is the sort of thing I was thinking off:-

http://www.chickbox.co.uk/

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 17:10 »
That is a conundrum as Betty needs some friends but you may well find she does pass on her egg eating habit.  Why not try putting a shop egg in the nest box and see what she does - she may have forgotten about eating eggs or have just got more lazy in old age. Chickens don't react to chilli or mustard so the rollaway nestbox Joy suggests may be the best option.

You need to think about introducing new girls as well.  It is Betty's home turf so she has an advantage there, but if the others lay and she doesn't, she may well end up bottom of the pecking order  :unsure:   The ideal would be a quarantine run but if that's not an option, make sure you have more than 1 drinker and feeder so everyone gets a chance to eat and drink  :)

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 30 queries.