Merry Tiller Magneto Problem

• 7 Replies

meikle

Merry Tiller Magneto Problem
« on: February 16, 2011, 09:32 »
Hi, I'm a neebie to your forum so hope you can help.  I have a Wolsely Major Merry Tiller and I'm having a problem with the magneto. 

There are two wires come from it.  One is connected to the right hand bolt, holding the magneto to the the block.  The other wire has come off.  It is still connected to the innards of the magneto but I'm not sure exactly where it went to.  I suspect it was part of the throtle control it was conected to but I'm not sure.

Another small problem is that one of the bolts securing the magneto has stipped the thread into the block.  I thought about tapping it out to 5mm but the post it goes into is only 9mm in diameter and I was concerned it would be too weak.  I'm tempted to just Araldite it into place.  Any suggestions.

Many thanks

Ian

Gwiz

Re: Merry Tiller Magneto Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 16:53 »
Hello to you.
I think you must be talking about the coil.
It's held on by two bolts that are 4BA in size. I have had the same problem in the past, and have used a long self tapping screw to hold it secure. Araldite, although very strong, won't be strong enough to hold it in place for very long.
As for the wires, without seeing it I can't be sure as it may very well have had a replacement engine at some point. You may have a model that has a points/ condenser system, so one of the wires may well have disappeared under the flywheel to where the points are located, or, it maybe that the other wire did go down to the carb link rods to a rudimentary cut out switch.
A model/type and code number might be very useful, you will find this stamped into the metal of the engine cowling (usually up near where the spark plug would be. You can then look up your engine on the Briggs and stratton website (That is if your engine is a Briggs.
I hope you find this information useful, feel free to sing out if you want more help, and don't forget to pop up to the  welcome section and tell us all a bit about yourself. :)

meikle

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:14 »
Thanks Gwiz.  I'll check out the engine number tonight.  It definitely is a Briggs and Stratton as it is printed on the casing for the the pull start.

Another wee question, I'm getting a spark now( Did use Araldite - I'll let you know how long  it lasts) but no fuel to the chamber.

Under the air filter is a cylindrical bit that pulls out by about 25mm.  What does that do?

Ian

smud6ie

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:34 »
In case gwiz is not around,thats the choke control and Briggs engines rarely start without it pulled fully out!
smud6ie

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:44 »
Yeah, wot smud6ie says ;)

aardvark

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 21:01 »
In case gwiz is not around,thats the choke control and Briggs engines rarely start without it pulled fully out!
smud6ie

That might also be my problem. (amongst other things not related to tillers).

Cheers

meikle

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:22 »
Hi Gwiz, you were absolutely right.  The Araldite didn't last five minutes. Used a self tapper as sugested and it worked a treat. Got it started and it sounds good.

It is a B+S Model Number 80232, Type 0919-01, COD 82062103

Next job will be an oil change.

Many thanks for your advice.

Ian

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 12:43 »
Another happy customer  :D

Keep us posted on how it works.

xx
Merry Tiller Titan Problem

Started by davef65 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 16:22
by Gwiz
xx
Merry Tiller Titan Running Problem - only last 5 -10 mins

Started by patoncastle on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post October 15, 2012, 10:17
by patoncastle
xx
merry tiller and mantis tiller - compare/contrast?

Started by mushroom on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 05:17
by Gwiz
xx
merry tiller

Started by sam51 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 08:13
by R Tallentire

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 28 queries.