Too Early?

• 47 Replies

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
Too Early?
« on: February 15, 2011, 20:53 »
Hello y'all, I think I've been a little bit too eager with starting the season! I find myself with six healthy looking Tomato seedlings already at the potting-on stage. Trouble is up here in the north we are a good two months away from frost free days and nights so is there a way I can slow down the growth of my Tomato seedlings? They are happy on my window sill at the moment and I intend to grow them on in my polytunnel at my allotment site. Would it be a good idea to put the seedlings outdoors during the day and then bring them in at night? I dont want the Tomato plants to outgrow the sill before taking them to the polytunnel! Please Help!  :unsure:
people talk rubbish

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Too Early?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 21:00 »
Nope - too cold outside and yes, you did start too early for your purposes! :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 21:03 »
Cheers DD  :( You really know how to make a guys day  :blush: Looks like they are going to be houseplants!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 21:12 »
Well, you did ask and I think judging by your opening sentence and thread title you already knew!  :lol:

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 21:17 »
Hello y'all, I think I've been a little bit too eager with starting the season! I find myself with six healthy looking Tomato seedlings already at the potting-on stage. Trouble is up here in the north we are a good two months away from frost free days and nights so is there a way I can slow down the growth of my Tomato seedlings? They are happy on my window sill at the moment and I intend to grow them on in my polytunnel at my allotment site. Would it be a good idea to put the seedlings outdoors during the day and then bring them in at night? I dont want the Tomato plants to outgrow the sill before taking them to the polytunnel! Please Help!  :unsure:

I take it they are outdoor variety rather than indoor? Indoor should be sown now as in Alicante, Shirley etc. For greenhouse. Outdoor varieties are not sown yet at all although I can see why confusion arises when people post in diaries etc that they have sown tomato seeds without specifying type.
Keep going with them - pop them in a cool bedroom.
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 21:35 »
Cheers VVG...a possible light at the end of the tunnel...place them in a cool room...now that could help the cause. By-the-way,they are an indoor variety of plum tomato, Roma. I also started a few Gardeners Delight....I'm simply too impatient!  :D

Hey, DD, just having the crack m8....nice to know I'm on a site with a sense of humour  :tongue2:

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 22:05 »
Cheers VVG...a possible light at the end of the tunnel...place them in a cool room...now that could help the cause. By-the-way,they are an indoor variety of plum tomato, Roma. I also started a few Gardeners Delight....I'm simply too impatient!  :D

Hey, DD, just having the crack m8....nice to know I'm on a site with a sense of humour  :tongue2:

Thats the best way, do it with a laugh. Too many gardners for my liking are dull. Sorry but its my opinion !!
Woooooooooooooo

andy135

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 22:10 »
Tomato's................................... I haven't even started mine yet.  :lol:

We had snow in April last year.  :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 22:18 »
And frosts in June.

Even for a greenhouse/pol tunnel, if it's not heated, I would not be considering it yet. I'll be sowing late March/Early April for my unheated greenhouse.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 22:21 »

Both can be grown in or out so if you don't have a greenhouse you could always get a tent type (£5-10) and that's the price of your toms for a few weeks if bought at the shops.

Says sow Feb - April on packet with plant out May onwards when first flowers form.

I think you'll be OK... :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 22:26 »
And frosts in June.

Even for a greenhouse/pol tunnel, if it's not heated, I would not be considering it yet. I'll be sowing late March/Early April for my unheated greenhouse.

Me too (you've given yourself a really tough job trying to hold them back and at the end of it all will gain nothing from the exercise, and all for the price of a few seeds and a bit of compost.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 22:34 »

Hey Iggyboy - just reread the polytunnel bit. Tent within your polytunnel with fleecy wrap and maybe a duvet ;)

I find you a few GD and Roma if you've used all yours. I ended up giving away lots of tom plants to the RSPCA last year (for their sale).

solway cropper

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 22:41 »
March sowing for me with an unheated south-facing lean-to greenhouse. Sown any earlier usually ends in tears.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 07:11 »

Hey Iggyboy - just reread the polytunnel bit. Tent within your polytunnel with fleecy wrap and maybe a duvet ;)

Is it not simpler to excercise a bit of patience, rather than going through that game night and unwrap every morning?

The O/P stated he's a good two months away from the last frost. 3 months will only make it May and we had severe frost in June last year.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 08:36 »

Is it not simpler to excercise a bit of patience, rather than going through that game night and unwrap every morning?

The O/P stated he's a good two months away from the last frost. 3 months will only make it May and we had severe frost in June last year.

But he's already sown them so should persevere. As I say confusion easily arises when diary entries state sowing of tomato seeds. If somebody uses the threads/diaries as their benchmark.

Iggy if you want seeds because you have used yours up I will send some as back up but you have a while if they are seedlings yet. You may be lucky!

xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula
xx
Early early purple broccoli

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 07:45
by Kristen
xx
Get 'em in early

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 29, 2009, 17:31
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 38 queries.