Too Early?

• 47 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Too Early?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 08:40 »
What price a few seed to re-sow compared to buying a tent to try and save them?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14 »
But he's already sown them so should persevere. As I say confusion easily arises when diary entries state sowing of tomato seeds. If somebody uses the threads/diaries as their benchmark.

Have you actually sown Tomatoes in late January or early February and tried to look after them until last-Frost?

In my opinion the O/P would be much better off to resow. Particularly if the seedlings are already "leggy".

I sow my Tomatoes around 15th February each year and they are 3 feet tall, or more, by mid May.  That's using windowsills and a conservatory before they then go into an unheated greenhouse.

I definitely would not want to try to keep them alive just using a windowsill. Apart from the size they will become they will be miserable, weak, plants because of the much poorer light they will get through a window than a conservatory or greenhouse.

bigben

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 09:17 »
And frosts in June.

Even for a greenhouse/pol tunnel, if it's not heated, I would not be considering it yet. I'll be sowing late March/Early April for my unheated greenhouse.

That has answered my question. I was starting to notice people planting toms and for the first time I have the use of a greenhouse so presumed the early start was for those with a greenhouse rather than those planning on growing outdoors which is what I did last year. I will leave it  a month or so then.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 09:21 »
I've sown my first lot of tomatoes and they are doing quite well. BUT the intention with these is that they are going into a greenhouse where I can turn the "wick" up when I want to.

The heat won't be just for the tomatoes, there will be a lot of flower seeds etc. that need the higher temperature, so I won't just be heating the space for a dozen plants.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 10:45 »
Too many gardners for my liking are dull. Sorry but its my opinion !!

Dull they may be but sucessful growers too  ;)

... As I say confusion easily arises when diary entries state sowing of tomato seeds. If somebody uses the threads/diaries as their benchmark.

Indeed,  the diaries are interesting but you have to remember that many of the diary writers are not experienced growers and it is not a good idea to follow their mistakes. 

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 17:02 »
I think its time to beat myself with a thorny stick!  :wacko: What a silly boy I've been,but its great to read all of your thoughts on this. I do realise I'm pushing my luck by sowing, of all things,Tomatoes,so early in the year. As was stated by DD,I kind of knew I'd boo booed,but hey,I can always keep them indoors. Thanks for the offer VVG,but I have plenty of seeds left and if need be I will start again in March for my polytunnel crop.  :D
people talk rubbish

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 17:09 »
I think its time to beat myself with a thorny stick!  :wacko:

How about using a couple of leggy tomato plants instead (less pain for you, less misery for the plants!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 23:31 »
I think its time to beat myself with a thorny stick!  :wacko: What a silly boy I've been,but its great to read all of your thoughts on this. I do realise I'm pushing my luck by sowing, of all things,Tomatoes,so early in the year. As was stated by DD,I kind of knew I'd boo booed,but hey,I can always keep them indoors. Thanks for the offer VVG,but I have plenty of seeds left and if need be I will start again in March for my polytunnel crop.  :D

Shame you are made to feel you have to beat yourself with a thorny stick ;)
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

sarajane

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 23:45 »
Hey Ho  -  dont stress  -  Just sow some more but dont throw them away and see how they get on. If we're honest we've all done similar.  I've had an allotment for 30 years and each year I see a bit of sunshine or feel a bit or warmth in January and decide its time to sow something totally inappropriate at totally the wrong time.  If we don't make mistakes we never learn  (and believe me I'm still learning) ;)

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 18:40 »
Spot on sarajane! you hit the nail on the head when you say, we never learn without making mistakes. It is also true that we are always learning in this game. I guess that is one of the main draws for me, as learning something new now and again keeps the old grey matter ticking over  :happy:

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 18:56 »
But he's already sown them so should persevere. As I say confusion easily arises when diary entries state sowing of tomato seeds. If somebody uses the threads/diaries as their benchmark.

Have you actually sown Tomatoes in late January or early February and tried to look after them until last-Frost?

YES!

edit to clarify quote and reply
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 19:12 by mumofstig »

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 19:01 »
Spot on sarajane! you hit the nail on the head when you say, we never learn without making mistakes. It is also true that we are always learning in this game. I guess that is one of the main draws for me, as learning something new now and again keeps the old grey matter ticking over  :happy:

Hey Iggyboy, it also keeps the protesters happy! Nobody has a right to tell you that you're wrong. Hope you haven't beaten yourself. I had loads last year just sitting with nowhere to go and mine were abundant with fruit in the greenhouse. Gave the rest awayo RSPCA. Experimentation was the name of the game.
Others are posting in diaries that they are sowing toms now, despite advice to the contrary so who are we to judge.
Another's right is somebody's wrong!

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 19:22 »
Cheers VVG! I dont mind people giving me their honest opinions,its a learning curve for us all. I must say I'm determined to get toms from the cause of this,I have no intention of losing my seedlings as they look fine and not at all leggy at the moment. True,I was impatient and I've taken that on board,if I get weak plants and little fruit then its a lesson learned for next time  :) Time to move on to the next subject, me thinks  :lol:

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 19:41 »
I wish the "experts" would offer their opinions rather than belittling growers and telling them off.
 Even without the ideal conditions of constant temperature and extra light, it is still worth a try for some people. If I was growing on a windowsill, I would place some cardboard covered in foil on the othe side of the plants to reflect the light and cover them over at night with a fleece. If the temperatures don't drop drastically again, you may just be lucky. And then its all worth it, for toms that are a month/6 weeks ahead of everyone else. I personally think its worth a try, relieves the boredom of these winter months!

But please, be a bit less brutal with those who are full of enthusiasm for the lovely hobby we all enjoy!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 19:53 »
Thanks for your comments PA & VVG.

We have seen so so so many people on here over the years who come on here, ask for advice - particularly about sowing dates, cheerfully disregard it, and then get immensely disappointed two months later when their plants are triffids and can't go outdoors for another two months.  The enthusiasm very quickly wanes and advice is meant only to prevent people from that massive drop.

Anyone should feel free to try anything, but those of us who have already made the mistakes would be remiss not to alert people to the consequences of what they are proposing - especially when they have particularly come on here seeking advice.

This is one of the friendliest forums around and we all spend hours of our own time on here trying to keep it that way and to advise newcomers.  We don't do it to belittle people and it sometimes hurts to be accused of ganging up or doing just that.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula
xx
Early early purple broccoli

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 07:45
by Kristen
xx
is it too early

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 28, 2015, 11:38
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.839 seconds with 37 queries.