Too Early?

• 47 Replies

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
Too Early?
« on: February 15, 2011, 20:53 »
Hello y'all, I think I've been a little bit too eager with starting the season! I find myself with six healthy looking Tomato seedlings already at the potting-on stage. Trouble is up here in the north we are a good two months away from frost free days and nights so is there a way I can slow down the growth of my Tomato seedlings? They are happy on my window sill at the moment and I intend to grow them on in my polytunnel at my allotment site. Would it be a good idea to put the seedlings outdoors during the day and then bring them in at night? I dont want the Tomato plants to outgrow the sill before taking them to the polytunnel! Please Help!  :unsure:
people talk rubbish

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Too Early?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 21:00 »
Nope - too cold outside and yes, you did start too early for your purposes! :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 21:03 »
Cheers DD  :( You really know how to make a guys day  :blush: Looks like they are going to be houseplants!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 21:12 »
Well, you did ask and I think judging by your opening sentence and thread title you already knew!  :lol:

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 21:17 »
Hello y'all, I think I've been a little bit too eager with starting the season! I find myself with six healthy looking Tomato seedlings already at the potting-on stage. Trouble is up here in the north we are a good two months away from frost free days and nights so is there a way I can slow down the growth of my Tomato seedlings? They are happy on my window sill at the moment and I intend to grow them on in my polytunnel at my allotment site. Would it be a good idea to put the seedlings outdoors during the day and then bring them in at night? I dont want the Tomato plants to outgrow the sill before taking them to the polytunnel! Please Help!  :unsure:

I take it they are outdoor variety rather than indoor? Indoor should be sown now as in Alicante, Shirley etc. For greenhouse. Outdoor varieties are not sown yet at all although I can see why confusion arises when people post in diaries etc that they have sown tomato seeds without specifying type.
Keep going with them - pop them in a cool bedroom.
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 21:35 »
Cheers VVG...a possible light at the end of the tunnel...place them in a cool room...now that could help the cause. By-the-way,they are an indoor variety of plum tomato, Roma. I also started a few Gardeners Delight....I'm simply too impatient!  :D

Hey, DD, just having the crack m8....nice to know I'm on a site with a sense of humour  :tongue2:

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 22:05 »
Cheers VVG...a possible light at the end of the tunnel...place them in a cool room...now that could help the cause. By-the-way,they are an indoor variety of plum tomato, Roma. I also started a few Gardeners Delight....I'm simply too impatient!  :D

Hey, DD, just having the crack m8....nice to know I'm on a site with a sense of humour  :tongue2:

Thats the best way, do it with a laugh. Too many gardners for my liking are dull. Sorry but its my opinion !!
Woooooooooooooo

andy135

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 22:10 »
Tomato's................................... I haven't even started mine yet.  :lol:

We had snow in April last year.  :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 22:18 »
And frosts in June.

Even for a greenhouse/pol tunnel, if it's not heated, I would not be considering it yet. I'll be sowing late March/Early April for my unheated greenhouse.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 22:21 »

Both can be grown in or out so if you don't have a greenhouse you could always get a tent type (£5-10) and that's the price of your toms for a few weeks if bought at the shops.

Says sow Feb - April on packet with plant out May onwards when first flowers form.

I think you'll be OK... :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 22:26 »
And frosts in June.

Even for a greenhouse/pol tunnel, if it's not heated, I would not be considering it yet. I'll be sowing late March/Early April for my unheated greenhouse.

Me too (you've given yourself a really tough job trying to hold them back and at the end of it all will gain nothing from the exercise, and all for the price of a few seeds and a bit of compost.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 22:34 »

Hey Iggyboy - just reread the polytunnel bit. Tent within your polytunnel with fleecy wrap and maybe a duvet ;)

I find you a few GD and Roma if you've used all yours. I ended up giving away lots of tom plants to the RSPCA last year (for their sale).

solway cropper

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 22:41 »
March sowing for me with an unheated south-facing lean-to greenhouse. Sown any earlier usually ends in tears.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 07:11 »

Hey Iggyboy - just reread the polytunnel bit. Tent within your polytunnel with fleecy wrap and maybe a duvet ;)

Is it not simpler to excercise a bit of patience, rather than going through that game night and unwrap every morning?

The O/P stated he's a good two months away from the last frost. 3 months will only make it May and we had severe frost in June last year.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 08:36 »

Is it not simpler to excercise a bit of patience, rather than going through that game night and unwrap every morning?

The O/P stated he's a good two months away from the last frost. 3 months will only make it May and we had severe frost in June last year.

But he's already sown them so should persevere. As I say confusion easily arises when diary entries state sowing of tomato seeds. If somebody uses the threads/diaries as their benchmark.

Iggy if you want seeds because you have used yours up I will send some as back up but you have a while if they are seedlings yet. You may be lucky!

xx
1st early 2nd early main crop....what ia the difference

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 07:54
by arugula
xx
First early's, Second Early's, Main crop? Chitting? help ???

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 15:03
by Dan
xx
Early early purple broccoli

Started by turnpike on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 07:45
by Kristen
xx
am I too early?

Started by Debsie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 00:48
by Loubs

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 37 queries.