Minimum Dig Methods ~ Do they work?

• 16 Replies

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
Minimum Dig Methods ~ Do they work?
« on: February 15, 2011, 15:47 »
Hiya

I rotivated my plot last year (it was our first year with the allotment), weeded lots and lots, and have some grassy patches at the minute too.

I'm interested in a kind of No Dig method and wondering if they do work.

My plan is to rake the weeds away, dig up any perennial weeds (had hundreds of them last year but we dug right down and removed the lot so very very few came back and we were pleasantly suprised), and rake in manure (and not disturb the lower level of earth where all those pesky seeds may be in waiting  >:(  ).

Now, won't the roots of my carrots, swedes, etc disturb the weed seeds anyway?

Would love feedback as we are just about to start cracking on with the soil preparation and me and hubby can't agree which to do, he thinks rotavate and then deal with the grass patches and weeds in the days afterwards (which is how we did it last year).

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but that's pretty much what we are, lol  ;) ::) :D

Thanks  :)
Herbie
herbiegrowsbananas

crh75

Re: Minimum Dig Methods ~ Do they work?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 16:50 »
My personal choice would be to carry on as you did last year.  No dig is said to be a more environmentally concious method as you do not disturb soil organism (worms etc).

If you choose a no dig method you need to keep off the ground.  Use a mulch in the autumn to feed the soil and keep weeds down.  The only really digging on any particular bed is ever few years when potatoes (or similar) are in. 
Root veg will only bring weed seeds to the surface when dug up, but they will not be noticable compared to the weed seeds that will get blown onto the soil.

I find if you keep on top of the weeding they are not too troublesome.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 16:58 »
In a truly no dig system, it seems to me, that the amount of collecting carrying and moving loads of manure/straw or other materials for mulch, must be as much hard work as digging :unsure: (If that's the reason for not wanting to dig?)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 17:15 »
I think a lot depends on what sort of soil you've got; I've got about 2' of sandy soil on top of flaky sandstone (surprise, surprise!) and there isn't really much point in routinely digging it at all in my opinion.

In each area I'm going to sow or plant the most I do is turn the top 6 inches over with a border fork, mainly to mix in any compost and/or fertiliser I want to add, but also to remove any perennial weeds which might be thinking they'd got lucky!

If your soil is heavy and you are trying to lighten it by incorporating manure I would say that deep digging is the best way to achieve that.

Any sort of turning over of the soil is likely to bring weed seeds to the surface, but if you've got on top of the nasty perennial weeds the trusty old sharp hoe is a great tool for keeping the annual ones in check.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 18:40 »
I've done both and trust me, no dig is far easier. It's a better choice not only for people with poor soil but also health problems. Straw is not nearly so heavy to carry (especially in a barrow) as forking or spading soil.

That said, no dig might not work if you've got serious slug and snail problems as the key to no dig is to mulch very heavily to both retain soil moisture and to let the mulch self-compost to build up better soil levels. It's not really no-dig if you don't do the mulching as weeds and pests will be quite prolific unless weeded regularly, which defeats the purpose of no-dig.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 18:53 »
Sorry they're in french, but you can get the idea from the videos here on no dig. The French are getting big into no-dig, simply heaping useful material like old manure, straw, compost etc into mounds.

6v0koE_dO_k
B5eDm3-iiVU

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 19:08 »
I think I may be getting confused with the no dig method cos  I've just found this one after looking at Trillium's link (thanks Trillium  :) ) and there is absolutely NO digging at all!

I think our spot will be too windy for this method but I am SO impressed!

q1OShZZUt0k
Herbie

bigben

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 19:16 »
That Stephen Harlow link is very impressive but I dont have access to the masses of stuff to mulch with. If I had a trailer and access to free straw or manure then it might work. As it happens I find digging a trench with my azada and some planting holes is not that hard.

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 21:29 »
The Stephen Harlow method is truly amazing  :ohmy: He not only showed us how to grow spuds the easy way,but also got a fantastic harvest! Alas,not all of us have the materials to do the job,at hand or indeed on tap. Still,it was an eye-opener and well worth noting.
people talk rubbish

noshed

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 22:24 »
My soil is quite good so I just try to keep on top of the big weeds and just lightly bash the rest over with my azada.
It's amazing when you spread compost from your bins in the autumn it seems to get incorporated by the spring.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 10:01 »
Did you see the two handled fork about 2/3rds through Trillium's second clip?

I really do want one of those!

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 05:45 »
They're referred to as broad forks, or, U Bars, depending on who you're speaking to.

I have my eye on the one in the upper left:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/OnlineCatalog.aspx?id=4e7b8aed

Not sure if I can afford it this year, but definitely next year.

It's not necessary to loosen lower soil before doing the heavy mulch. What I'd do is simply lay a thick spread of cardboard over the grass/whatever and start heaping on the compost, mulch, etc. Why work hard when you can work smart?  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 05:54 »
Here's a new take on spreading manure:

cGq_nLHz9ywfeature=related

Dreamer@45

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 19:11 »
Here's a new take on spreading manure:

cGq_nLHz9ywfeature=related

:lol:Very good!

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 19:28 »
I dont dig, have a look at my no dig allotment in the diary section.

xx
I've gone back to my old methods

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2020, 22:22
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Hoeing methods

Started by Filament on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 16:48
by woodburner
xx
Favourite slug methods

Started by Classybird on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 15:42
by Dom2599
xx
Minimum spacing for kale

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 08:04
by Goldfinger

Page created in 1.109 seconds with 38 queries.