Butts

• 4 Replies

Jenny

Butts
« on: August 03, 2006, 10:37 »
Hi everyone,
I need more waterbutts.
I am quite happy with the blue barrels on my allotment, but at home I don't have any down pipes from my roof to a decent place to put a water container (I can competely block the side passage or put one directly outside my front window!)
I have looked at getting a flat water butt so that I can screw it to the wall of the house, or sit it against my fence like this one  - http://www.crocus.co.uk/toolsandstuff/results/?ContentType=Product_Card&ClassID=2000005608&CategoryID=   but they are all very expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative?
Jenny

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Butts
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 11:20 »
Buy long gutter pipes and run it along the house at a downward angle to a more suitable place for the cheap barrel butts. We've done this on a small scale at our flat.
Not a very good photo but this pipe used to run straight down to a drain but then we angled it so it fills two butts. http://www.stargazy.org/plants/2005/garden27aug.jpg
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

wellingtons

Hi Jennie ...
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 11:31 »
... I only have a small suburban garden and have little or no space for a water butt.  And absolutely nowhere that isn't in full view.

I looked for ages trying to find a decorative but useful water butt.  My father came to the rescue and I have an old milkchurn.  I've restored it to it's former glory and surrounded it by different size silver and blue pots and it looks great.

stompy

Butts
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 14:59 »
Hi there jenny what site are you on in Hull.

Jenny

Butts
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 11:44 »
Thanks for the replies.
I have two large water butts  from my greenhouse at the end of my tiny garden already but I want to collect water from my house now it's coming down! In order to run pipes from the house to a suitable places (well, there isn't a suitable place!) they would have to go at head/neck height across paths or doorways. I can do this safely in one place outside my back doors but I need a thin water container otherwise I won't be able to get out!!! JUst wondering if, like the blue barrels, there is an ex-chemical carrier in a long rectangular shape that would do?
Jenny
BTW - I'm on Bude Road  :D

xx
Butts

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 25, 2006, 08:57
by John
xx
Water Butts

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 14:00
by paintedlady
xx
Emptying water butts

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 21:30
by Christine
xx
Fish in water butts

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 11:15
by flowerlady

Page created in 0.536 seconds with 37 queries.