Sick Rosemary?

• 11 Replies

Lardman

Sick Rosemary?
« on: February 14, 2011, 16:53 »
They weren't looking too happy at the end of last year, the 2 trays in the greenhouse look the same as the ones outside. I don't think it was the cold as they were showing the same symptoms at the end of last summer.

Have they got some sort of nasty disease?
rosemary-20110214-1634.jpg
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:18 by Lardman »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sick Rosemary?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 17:07 »
Were they rooted cuttings before overwintering or did you put the cuttings in to overwinter?

Looking at the trays underneath the modules I'm wondering whether they have been too wet for too long; they don't like that at all!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 17:26 »
Grown from seed last year - they were very well rooted.

I've not watered them at all, but was rather late moving them into the greenhouse. Checking the compost it is rather soggy, I've brought a tray into the house to dry out and warm up.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 17:39 »
I don't think they are diseased, mine were the same......brought them into cool spare bedroom and all the ones that had any green left have started growing. The brown/grey ones are dead.

Even in the greenhouse it has just been too cold/damp for them  :(

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 21:24 »
I grow Rosemary in the garden and take cuttings every year which I give away. I cover it for Winter as it prefers mediterranean temperatures. It looks as though it is wind burnt/caught a frost. The other poster is correct when they suggest little watering and they like poor soil - sandy even best.

Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:22 »
Grown from seed last year - they were very well rooted.

Well done on that! I had a Rosemary plant but we lost it over one winter, so growing from seed to replace it is something I've not managed to achieve in a few attempts. I had resolved to obtain cuttings from somewhere - I have a couple of possible sources - but then in return for a recent favour done, one of the sources who knew I wanted Rosemary cuttings gave us a new plant, which will soon join my other perennial herbs. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:23 »
Everything I saw said they were difficult to start but Im too cheap to buy a plant  :D

Scattered the seeds on some compost last year, forgot about them and by the time I remembered there were at least 50 seedlings.  :ohmy:

I wont be too pleased if they have all gone to see the great lamb leg in the sky.  :nowink: At least the seeds were from moles so I have billions more to try from  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:48 »
I'm on about my fifth rosemary bush in 15 years, all started from cuttings to replace the previous one when it started to get a bit too big, woody and straggly.

They do well in my sandy soil in a spot sheltered by the house from cold northerly or easterly winds which can scorch them a bit, otherwise they are pretty tough.

The only time I lost one was after I left a slightly leaky hose sprayer resting on the middle of the plant for a few hours in summer. This seems to have been enough to cause botrytis blight which eventually killed the whole plant.  >:(

bigben

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:17 »
Lardman - what are you planning on doing with so much Rosemary? I started with 3 tiny plants, one died but the others are now so huge we dont use even a tenth of the bush.

I might actually try to grow some cuttings which would allow us to remove what has become a monster bush.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 10:33 »
Lardman - what are you planning on doing with so much Rosemary?

Hedging, low maintenance, every green and smells nice. I've also got some lavender to mix in. Hopefully I should just be able to take the hedge clippers to it once a year.

Im not a fan of flowery things, I much prefer things that smell nice.

bigben

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 15:03 »
Lardman - what are you planning on doing with so much Rosemary?

Hedging, low maintenance, every green and smells nice. I've also got some lavender to mix in. Hopefully I should just be able to take the hedge clippers to it once a year.

Im not a fan of flowery things, I much prefer things that smell nice.

What a good idea - a hedge you can eat! Could you put some bay in there as well?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 15:11 »
Could you put some bay in there as well?

No reason why not, but depending on growing conditions the Rosemary may grow rather more vigorously than the Bay. :)

Edit: clarification.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 15:19 by argyllie »

xx
rosemary

Started by lochnesslass on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 14:42
by JayG
xx
Rosemary

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 12:38
by JayG
xx
Rosemary

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 17:37
by FatGaz
xx
Rosemary

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2016, 08:12
by Mum2mj

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 38 queries.